• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a kind of poll about my idea for cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

Most people have probably asked this a BILLION times before, but, what the hey, Ill ask it as well!

This is the setup I plan to use

untitled.JPG

Key:

1: PSU, Enermax 431W (twin fan design)
2: 80mm ~30cfm exhaust fan
3: 2x 80mm ~30cfm exhaust fans
4: CPU
5: 120mm YS-Tech 135cfm fan (will be variable) intake
6: Southbridge (does the mobo temp come from this? if so, its 26c)
7: 120mm YS-Tech 135cfm fan (will be variable) intake

Will this be a good setup? Currently my setup is the fan on number 2 position, and the same type of fan in number 7 position, and my temp of the CPU is ~40c idle... Will my temps even think about coming down a bit?

My advice would be to get rid of 2 and 3. Make 5 a 120x38mm 105cfm Sunon and mount it directly over top of the CPU blowing in. Make number 7 a 120x38 84cfm Sunon blowing out.

Don't start in on "b-b-b-but hot air rises...."
Hot air does not rise in the presence of a breeze. It goes with the flow. Convection is a very subtle (read weak) force.

Hoot

I would do this:

1 - PSU
2 - YSTech 120mm Exhaust
3 - 80mm Exhaust
4 - Good CPU
5 - 80mm Intake
6 - Northbridge
7 - YSTech 120mm Intake

You now have a space 80mm fan, which I'm sort of lost to do with. I would recommend you putting it intake if there's room... Or make another blow hole with it.

Well hoot, since you happen to be a "hotshot" when it comes to air flow, what do you think of my setup?

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=589266

I plan to have the 2 front intake fans blowing in on the radiator and the 2 fans on the side nearest the front as exhaust for the radiator, the other side fan will be an intake and there is an exhaust in the back as well as the PSU.

I was planning on having the radiator sectiond off from the rest of the case.

Yodums said:
I would do this:

1 - PSU
2 - YSTech 120mm Exhaust
3 - 80mm Exhaust
4 - Good CPU
5 - 80mm Intake
6 - Northbridge
7 - YSTech 120mm Intake

You now have a space 80mm fan, which I'm sort of lost to do with. I would recommend you putting it intake if there's room... Or make another blow hole with it.

That wouldnt work... Ya see, number two is a rear exhaust, there aint room to fit a 120mm fan there...

Hoot, that route, I would have to cover up that huge hole I spent 30mins making in the rear exhaust (position 2)!!!

And these are the fans I have got... 2x 120mm YS-Tech 135cfm fans, two YS-Tech 80mm 45cfm fans and 3 Papst 80mm 20cfm fans. So those are what I have got, now you can see what I can work with, so advise me on what to do!

I think I was kinda doing ok with that pic, and you have to remember my PC is oin the floor...

1: PSU
2: 80mm ~30cfm intake fan
3: 120mm YS-Tech 135cfm fan (will be variable) exhaust
4: CPU
5: 120mm YS-Tech 135cfm fan (will be variable) intake
6: Southbridge (does the mobo temp come from this? if so, its 26c)
7: 80mm intake

Just my idea on the subject.

I have more cfm in than out and found that worked well for me

Last edited:
Have you noticed that your CPU is in a red area?

Move fan from #7 directly over the CPU
Leave position #7 open as vent.

Add a HDD cooler if neccesary

Everything else looks good -- if not overkill, consider a DigitalDoc.

Back