• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a thought

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Problem with these kits comes from the people here. I got little to no help with upgrading my thermaltake bigwater here. As for costs it was free and it has got me into water cooling so how could these kits be bad? I dropped 2C over my air cooling which was a hdt1283.

I wish there was a sticky for how to improve these kits. I found some posts else were showing how to lower temps 3-4. Also I'm adding another radiator but now that I have a complete system I can slowly replace it with better parts(I could not afford good water cooling to start with).
I think the biggest problem there is simple lack of knowledge. Most of us are DIY types so when it comes to kits all we can say is "change that part out for something better like this." In most cases the kit's pump is the first thing to go ...

you'll have to do some measuring since I can't find any dimensions to the p500 :bang head it's not a D5 by liang but it might work DD-CPX-Pro 12V Pump 800l/h, I'm assuming it's going in the bay box
but once you get those dims. you'll know better to what fits.

Okay my turn.

I have seen peeps come here and the other forums I frequent. Some are more general and uninformed places than here, some very technical. This forum is a really good mix of noobs, experts, and peeps like me stuck in the middle.

We get all sorts of noob questions. Some come in here wanting a WC setup for $50 and the only thing they want is a 'Best Buy/Walmart' experiance where they put it on the table and it does the rest, they need no advise except 'tell me what to buy'. Some come in knowing something about that 'magic box' on their desk, they have overclocked, and read the manual a few times and have used the web to learn. They see a WC rig and are interested in learning more. Then we have the experianced OC who needs lower temps, knows how to read the forums and how to do research on their own.

Once these three groups move to WC, then we get to experiance levels and... um forum competence. Some post researched common sense info, some post elite do this or die (the get this part FTW) and say no more to furthur the thread (thanks LOL), and finally the completly uninformed about the whole concept.

I like to look at it like riding in an airplane. It's full of just about every financial/ethnic/religion/ etc etc group you can imagine. It's up to you, to decide whats worth listening to and whats not. We have it all here.

When someone comes in here asking questions, we gotta see what they are like. Budget, level of intelligence, seriousness to WC, a million things. Every case is different, each case will get replies that are plain crap, some over their head, or will insult their intelligence.

Rjcouture1, don't fret so much, answer or help if you can, or if ya don't feel like it cuz the garbage needs to go out, or you dunno the right answer, don't worry.

Let the board do it's thing, ignore the fluff/silly peeps, and be a good forum citizen.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see the perfect recommendations for each person. One thing I will never do is recommend a cheapo kit knowing what I know now. Someone might get a TT kit and say it's okay. Cool for them. Thats me. Cuz I'm one person on the airplane and I do have a voice.

BTW, your effort is appreciated in the first post. You got the right idea. So hard to fill the needs of each person, they are soo diff.

Does anyone know a direct replacement for a p500 pump? I would like to make a pump my next purchase.

The biggest consideration for replacing a punp is what size inlets you have on your blocks/radiator.

The TT bigwater kits I believe are all 3/8" ID (I belive their older kits were 1/4" but i could be wrong). If you have a 3/8" ID system, your best bet for a pump would probably be a Liang DDC, also knows as the MCP355 (swiftech rebrand).

You could more or less swap out your thermaltake pump for this one, and need not change anything else in your loop.

The DDC is rated at 454 L/h flow rate, but it has a 15' head, meaning more pressure. Your TT pump is rated at 500 l/h from TT, but it does not mention what the head on the pump is. That being said, I seriously doubt it comes anywhere near the head pressure of the MCP355, and in a loop will not be able to achieve a flow rate comprable to what the MCP355 can.

So, in short, if you want to upgrade to a REALLY good pump that will last you, and you can grow and upgrade your cooling loop around, go for the MCP355

Does anyone know a direct replacement for a p500 pump? I would like to make a pump my next purchase.
Usually I recommend a new pump for the first upgrade but ...

If you want better cooling you might want to consider getting a bigger radiator instead. Chances are the Tt pump you've got is working fine for a CPU only but a single 120mm rad (IMO) really isn't enough if you're OC'ing or have a quad CPU. If you're adding more blocks the single rad definitely isn't going to be enough.

If you don't have the room or don't want to deal with installing a bigger rad you could always go for a higher CFM fan for your existing rad. But don't expect a performance fan to be as quiet as the Tt fan you've got now. Some of those performance fans sound more like jets than computer equipment ...! ;)

Usually I recommend a new pump for the first upgrade but ...

If you want better cooling you might want to consider getting a bigger radiator instead. Chances are the Tt pump you've got is working fine for a CPU only but a single 120mm rad (IMO) really isn't enough if you're OC'ing or have a quad CPU. If you're adding more blocks the single rad definitely isn't going to be enough.

If you don't have the room or don't want to deal with installing a bigger rad you could always go for a higher CFM fan for your existing rad. But don't expect a performance fan to be as quiet as the Tt fan you've got now. Some of those performance fans sound more like jets than computer equipment ...! ;)
I just installed a swiftect MCR220 and re plumbed everything with danger den barbs. Still waiting on my fans for the radiator but I did drop 5C.

Order of things to buy for me are PUMP->cpu block->gpu block

Quite true.

And now I can't get RPG's out of my head let's see 2 stars I must be 2 lvl :D

Please quote the full post, just not the first and last lines. Not saying your trying to twist my words, but selective cut-n-paste can be used to twist words or the intent of the post. Maybe a full paragraph to quote, but not the first and last lines.

Thank you.

No one is a specific level, we are who we are and the key is good input within our knowledge levels for the health of the forum.

Me? I don't know a ton about pumps and have no interest in pouring over a chart for hours But I know what the pros have tested and recommend, so I'll generally recommend xx pump brands and tops, but in a general way, and not say xx is the best, FTW, this brand sucks, etc. Statements like that cause emotion and things usually go to hell after that for the rest of the thread.

I just installed a swiftect MCR220 and re plumbed everything with danger den barbs. Still waiting on my fans for the radiator but I did drop 5C.

Order of things to buy for me are PUMP->cpu block->gpu block

What size barbs?

If you put in 3/8" get yourself an mcp355.

If you put in 1/2" go for a D5 (MCP655).

Please quote the full post, just not the first and last lines. Not saying your trying to twist my words, but selective cut-n-paste can be used to twist words or the intent of the post. Maybe a full paragraph to quote, but not the first and last lines.

Thank you.

No one is a specific level, we are who we are and the key is good input within our knowledge levels for the health of the forum.

Me? I don't know a ton about pumps and have no interest in pouring over a chart for hours But I know what the pros have tested and recommend, so I'll generally recommend xx pump brands and tops, but in a general way, and not say xx is the best, FTW, this brand sucks, etc. Statements like that cause emotion and things usually go to hell after that for the rest of the thread.

I was agreeing to the whole post it's quite true, to repost it's entirely just for a simple response in which someone can post inbetween seems redundant.

The second part I was just playing on the words experience level it wasn't meant that literally having two stars implied more knowledge as the other poster caught the joke.

I grew up playing Role playing games such as AD&D,gammaworld,Warhammer,and several others well before MMORPG's

I was being just a little lighthearted considering the all that has been written.

Okay, no worries. In that case a reply saying, "Quite true Conumdrum." would of sufficed.
Yea, I have leveled tons of games too, from back in the VIC 20 days even tiill now. I PC for games mostly.

And looks like the pump issue is worked out.

What size barbs?

If you put in 3/8" get yourself an mcp355.

If you put in 1/2" go for a D5 (MCP655).

I went with 3/8 barbs, also got my fans today from newegg and the final temps are 51c vs 61c without the mcr220 and 2 thermaltake turbofans.

Actual little wheel spins faster(bigwater factory gear) now that I have got rid of the quick disconnects. The chrome was flaking off of one of the thermaltake barbs so glad that is out of the system.

How do I actually get water temp readings and flow numbers? I litteraly know how to set-up and read pressure meter on large scale pumps but I just want some little simple contraption.

I went with 3/8 barbs, also got my fans today from newegg and the final temps are 51c vs 61c without the mcr220 and 2 thermaltake turbofans.

Actual little wheel spins faster(bigwater factory gear) now that I have got rid of the quick disconnects. The chrome was flaking off of one of the thermaltake barbs so glad that is out of the system.

How do I actually get water temp readings and flow numbers? I litteraly know how to set-up and read pressure meter on large scale pumps but I just want some little simple contraption.
Water temp readings are pretty easy if you've already got a remote temp sensor like some fan control units have. Put a dab of TIM to a metal part of your loop (like a connector), attach the sensor, then put ~1" of foam over the metal piece (covering ALL of it). You've now isolated your sensor from the room and should get (relatively) close water temps. Note that metal parts attached to other metal parts (like a rad barb) cannot be isolated.

There's no good way to get the flow - the uncertainty principle kicks in. Flow meters create restriction, which reduces flow, and why would you want to do that except temporarily? So a flow meter always gives you a false-low reading unless you keep the meter as part of your loop.

By using a flow meter contraption I cooked up (a pair of meters in parallel with a separate by-pass all using 3/4" tubing) and recording measurements for several loops with different components, I managed to graph out the flow meter's resistance/flow and (kinda') get good readings through calculation. In the end it really wasn't worth the effort just to get flow readings - but I learned a lot along the way and (to me) that's half the fun ...! :)

Back