• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a thought.................

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

O.K. I was thinking, and I am sure that I am not the first to come up with this, but I have a mobo with a maximum multiplier of 8. If I were to get a 900, will it only run at 800? O.K., if it only runs at 800, wouldnt I almost certainly be able to get a really high OC? :eh?:

Sometimes it may not just boot at that, sometimes it may detect as 900 as well. If it does detect as 800 however, you should be able to overclock with ease.

Edit: Happy B-day

It shouldn't matter, because the cellies are locked...I had an AOpen board that went from 3-8 multiplier, and it detected my 900 as a 900...

no the multiplier is locked the celly will force itself upon the mobo...wait that didnt come out right;)

That is what I thought. But how can a mobo run at 9, if it doesnt support a multiplier of 9? Probably no real explanation, it just does. Now if a chip with a multiplier of 9 is forced onto a mobo with a maximum multilier of 8, is it going to be more unstabile than it would be on a board that supports it?

Back