• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just bought all my stuff....I'm lost :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
OK, I have my water pump here (Danner Mag 2) and this is my first setup here. This thing is twice as big as I thought it was. It has 3/4" inlets and outlets....so HOW do I connect my 1/2" tubing to it???? Please don't say adapters, as I just spent 2 hours at Home Depot looking for them and didn't find any. What can I do???

I was ready to give up on this and just buy a little eheim submersible pump and throw it in a reservoir...but what the heck do I use for a reservoir? A junction box? Where would the cord go through then?

I guess I just asked about a hundred questions, but I really hate sitting here with all these parts laughing at me calling me a dumb a$$!!!!

-Collin-

...i'm afraid the use of the word "adapters" is a must.
You can find them at home depot in the sprinkler system department. I went nuts looking in the plumbing department......Ask someone to point you to the 3/4 fittings. they will be fairly stiff to screw on, use one layer of teflon tape wrapped the opposite direction as you would screw it on. hand tightening is all that is required, if you want give it 1/4 turn with wrench. USE PLASTIC FITTINGS...:)
try to find one with the largest inside diameter

Last edited:
OK, well I was just obviously in the wrong place...I was in plumbing. Also, would it be better to use this pump or get some crappy little submersible one? Is this a decent pump? It just seems so big. One last thing, only one of the two inlets/outlets have threading. The other one is just blank. What should I do about that?

-Collin-

Odd, I usually go to the plumbing section for barbs. They have a whole wall of them for you to choose from. Anyway, you don't want a "crappy" pump because the livelihood of your system depends on its reliability. Also you want one with good specs which the mag2 could provide. Keep the mag2, bring it to homedepot and ask someone to help you find fittings for the pump with 1/2" barbs. Your inlet is most likely "blank" because it has threads on the inside (female).

it depends on how far you need to push water.
I use the mag 2. But everything is pretty much internal, so it works quite well.
get the mag 3 if you have an external box setup.
or have a high pressure block.

I say get a decent pump. its worth it.
eheim's are very well built pumps, but if the one you saw is cheap, it won't have enough power, as it is a lower model.
The eheim pumps tend to be on the expensive side, due to high quality construction.

The mag's are great too though. a bit louder, and you should add a ring of silicon sealant to the seal inside the housing, as they have leaked from there before.

....no problem my ninja warrior;)

ok forgive me.....

The pump has one 3/4" od barb, and one 3/4" od threaded tube.

I can get this stuff at home depot????

Also, would the ViaAqua 1300 be a better pump to use?

-Collin-

Did you buy the mag2 yet? If so, no reason to get a different one. All pumps require some adapter because they don't come barbed. Like I said before, just bring the pump to home depot and they will help you out.

Like someone said before, the barbs are in the irrigation department. They are gray.

They are in a section with lots of boxes that have various sizes and fittings, they are in individual plastic bags.

OK.....I'm goin' tomorrow. While I'm here...can you guys tell me if this will be a decent system?

Danner Mag 2

Zalman Water Block

1/2" Tubing with a T line

An probably, a chevette heater core...

decent?

-Collin-

Nah, they are 1/2NPT threads 1/2" barbs. one is Male and one is female. Get plastic. Hand tighten them quite hard, dont use a wrench.

Jon

OK...I know everyone is going to call me a retard, but I returned the pump. I got a more modest submersible pump that will sit the in the reservoir that I bought. It is 250 gph. Also, it has 1/2" fittings. For a reservoir, I was at work today and noticed something that would work perferctly! It is a 4x4x8 plastic display case for beanie babies! It is one solid piece with a lid, so there are no seals at the corners to leak! Now, all I am waiting for is my heater core.

-Collin-

Coming here to the forums to get opinions and learn is always a good idea. But in the end what works best for your situation is your choice. If your more comfortable with the new pump then thats great.
Remember its what makes you happy that matters. ;)

One last question, what are the chances that this plastic will crack spontaneously? It is not glued together, but it is molded into one piece. I guess it's hard to say, but I just want to make sure that this thing isnt going to explode in my case.

-Collin-

I have included a pic of the reservoir in my case...just to show what it looks like.

Plastic elect box 4*4*4 are good for it that ones with a lid. Put barbs in lid drill hole for elect cord but not for the plug. Run the cord thrue it and put supper glue for a seal. Splice the cord plug on and you got a seald pump and res.

Back