• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just bought my 1st SSD, 120g OCZ Agility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I bought a copy of Win7 Pro 64 with a 120g OCZ Agility. I assume I will have to flash the firmware to enable trim? Any other pointers that I need to know?

Last edited:

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
Yeah will probably need to be flashed for trim, and google "SSD tweaks" or the like and you'll find some great little settings that help keep your drive speedy and less likely to degrade over time.

You shoulda got in on that deal I posted a few days ago!!!

OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Yeah will probably need to be flashed for trim, and google "SSD tweaks" or the like and you'll find some great little settings that help keep your drive speedy and less likely to degrade over time.

You shoulda got in on that deal I posted a few days ago!!!

Yeah, I chickend out. It was a better drive. I got some X-mas money and just went for it. Too bad the deal is dead.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
The Agility is no slouch; you still did well. I'm thinking of Raiding a pair of 60 or 120 versions and sticking my Intel drive in my laptop. For the dough, the Agility is a real nice SSD. Indilinx controller and Samsung memory = :)
Reads and writes are also a bit better than advertised too.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Disable Auto defrag in W7
Disable Indexing
Disable Superfetch
Shrink PF size to 2GB if space is a concern.

Confirm what FW you already have on the Agility, but it is likely you will need to Flash to get TRIM or GC. Personally, I prefer GC over TRIM.

Mr Alpha

Disable Auto defrag in W7
Disable Indexing
Disable Superfetch
Shrink PF size to 2GB if space is a concern.
There is no need to any of this in Windows 7. It is quite SSD aware and will do the needed tweaks on its own.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
It is? Get out? Links please to show this does it automatically....

AFAIK it will automatically disable the defrag, but superfetch was still enabled and I had to disable it, so was indexing.....until I vlite'd the install and took that crap out for this particular image...

Know Nuttin

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

Windows 7 Optimizations and Default Behavior Summary

As noted above, all of today’s SSDs have considerable work to do when presented with disk writes and disk flushes. Windows 7 tends to perform well on today’s SSDs, in part, because we made many engineering changes to reduce the frequency of writes and flushes. This benefits traditional HDDs as well, but is particularly helpful on today’s SSDs.

Windows 7 will disable disk defragmentation on SSD system drives. Because SSDs perform extremely well on random read operations, defragmenting files isn’t helpful enough to warrant the added disk writing defragmentation produces. The FAQ section below has some additional details.

Be default, Windows 7 will disable Superfetch, ReadyBoost, as well as boot and application launch prefetching on SSDs with good random read, random write and flush performance. These technologies were all designed to improve performance on traditional HDDs, where random read performance could easily be a major bottleneck. See the FAQ section for more details.

Since SSDs tend to perform at their best when the operating system’s partitions are created with the SSD’s alignment needs in mind, all of the partition-creating tools in Windows 7 place newly created partitions with the appropriate alignment.

Mr Alpha

It is? Get out? Links please to show this does it automatically....

AFAIK it will automatically disable the defrag, but superfetch was still enabled and I had to disable it, so was indexing.....until I vlite'd the install and took that crap out for this particular image...
Straight from the horse's mouth: Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives. It is worth a read or three. Windows 7 is even more tricky than you in the superfetch case. It will selectively disable Superfetch on SSDs with high random read performance while leaving it on on crappy SSDs (like the JMicron ones) and hard drives. So in a system with SSDs and hard drives Superfetch will be disabled for the SSD but enabled for the hard drive. As a general rule disabling Superfetch will only slow you down.

Generally 80% of all performance tweaks for Windows are BS. The remaining 20% work but most of them shouldn't be recommended without caveats. Like disabling indexing: Sure, it will save you some random reads and writes (which might be useful on a JMicron SSDs) but it will make searching slower.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Im a self noted moron when it comes to Superfetch. I prefer to see all my RAM available even though I know darn well it 'technically' is. So SF is disabled across the board.

I love getting 227/157 R/W on a drive that is supposed to get 220/135 R/W (not that the tweaks did it, just bragging).

But to Krag, this info should help him out. I would say check to see what is/isnt enabled. I kno when I first dumped W7 on this SSD indexing and Superfetch were enabled. This is the sammy controller and is not the slow arse jmicron one.

Mr Alpha

Im a self noted moron when it comes to Superfetch. I prefer to see all my RAM available even though I know darn well it 'technically' is. So SF is disabled across the board.
To each his own I guess, but do know that unused RAM is wasted RAM. It is not something I would go around recommending people do.
I kno when I first dumped W7 on this SSD indexing and Superfetch were enabled. This is the sammy controller and is not the slow arse jmicron one.
Just because Superfetch is enabled doesn't mean it is, um, superfetching from the SSD. My point is that Windows 7's way of managing Superfetch is a lot more granular that on/off.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I do NOT reccomend that practice at all..never have, never will. :)

I understood what you linked/said the first time. And trust me, it was enabled on the SSD. I disabled it from the REGISTRY. And unless it has multiple entries there it isnt working across any drives (the one drive with my benching OS's on it has it disabled across OS's as well).

Ok this is enough of a tangent on my specific stuff. Sorry (again!) krag!

OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Ok this is enough of a tangent on my specific stuff. Sorry (again!) krag!

Thats quite alright my man! All of this info is very, very helpful to me. Too bad I have to wait until Jan 4th to get my copy of Win 7 & the SSD. I was a stoopid fool and used the free "ground" shipping. :rolleyes: