• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just for Gaming..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

I'm buildin a system for my friend and still debating on AMD or Intel.. This sytem is gonna be strickly for GAMING alone pretty much.. if i DO go intel it's a 2.4C w/HT and IC7-G max 2.. or if AMD it will be an nf7-s with a comparable STOCK speed matched XP, barton probably.. either way the system will be OC'd and H20'd. so i'm trying to get votes.. remember.. strickly gaming.. :D

CCW

Xtreme refugee
Personally, Id say go with an AMD Athlon Processor with a Barton Core so either the 2500+, 2800+ or 3200+. The First two of these have a 333MHz FSB and the third has a 400MHz FSB. I think 2600+'s are available now with a Barton Core. The barton Core has double the L2 cache of the Thoroughbred or Palamino Athlon XP Processor. Cache is a temporary storage area for data, it allows the processor to get htis data quickly for it to be worked upon. This would help with gaming. The NF7 that you've suggested would be an ideal good performance board for this, what memory do you intend to put with it? ideally you need two sticks to make use of the nForce 2 Chipsets Dual Memory Controllers. This increases the memory bus from 64bits to 128bits allowing you to increase the memory bandwidth.

Craig

CCW

Xtreme refugee
If this is two separate 512MB sticks (which I presume it is) this would be ideal to go with this motherboard and processor. You never said what graphics card is going in this system...this is obviously important if this is to be a rig designed for gaming.

Craig

OP
repilce

repilce

9800 PRO / WD 120GB 7200 SATA / if amd, then using soundstorm for sound, if intel then gotta spend MORE money on good sound :(

EDIT: btw yeh that's two 512 sticks of that ram :D

(v)estra

i have not problem with the sound on the ic7-g max 2 i got but i dont need beastly sound all i play is cs and wc3tft and my ears are so tuned to the slightest of sounds i can hear a clip drop even with this ****test sound card

(v)estra

ooh and as for the hd go with 2 80s (costs a little more but run a raid format for better gaming preformance from what i understand)

CCW

Xtreme refugee
Games dont need good hard-disk drive performance as most game sonly load at certain points like new levels for example in a FPS so basically a RAID array set up in RAID0 will only help loading times faster, games dont need to constantly load data usually, saving a game file isnt very big usually so its not like a fast hdd will help there

Craig

man_utd

If you go intel just spend the extra 11 bucks on the 2.6C. It isn't much of a difference in price, but a 2.6 is more likely to hit higher speeds.

OP
repilce

repilce

i was really gonna go intel.. but be'n a long time AMD fanboy and thinking in terms "stricly gaming" i'm gonna stick with AMD.. with nf7-s 2.0 and the mushkin ram dual channeled with a 9800 pro and the 120gb sata drive.. i think this will be a good machine.. just gotta pick which processor i want.. gonna definatly go with a barton core.. a local shop has them where i can pick through and look at the steppings so i can possible get one that's NOT locked. :D

OP
repilce

repilce

well, the money is not the much of a concerne,, whithi some reason.. but i' much rather be stuck at 12.5 x 215-220ish then 11x215-220ish..

oh yeh update: this things moving up to Mach I cooling :D

eg1441

Registered
You're building a mach I for a friend?

If you're really building a mach I you should probably know what you want to buy... or atleast shouldn't trust your investement with advice solely from us...

OP
repilce

repilce

Actually i'm bumping down to Vapochill for about 125bucks cheaper.. i know an ac guy that can r404 it for me :D so it'll get some nice performance.. even in the 2.7ish range it shouldn't tax the cooling too much..

And yeh i just wannt get some opinions that are based on others experiences and stuff and decide on my own.. i've posted all the system specs in a thread over in genral hardware about this project that i'll be working on for my friend.. do to some budget needs a few minor things were twinked out.. but for the price i got over there it's not badd at all and should still be one bad @$$ gaming machine.. with the possiblities of only having to upgrade minorly in the future until 64 bitness is as common as the cold.