• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got a Fortron 530 from someone on the forum and the 3.3v is really low

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saruji

I bought nice, (looks nearly unused) fortron 530 from another forum member here, i'm using it on a really crappy board Asus K8V se deluxe 754 and i'm getting really low 3.3v, i'm at 2.748 actually and the first time i loaded the loading screen froze and then the log in screen, but since then (about 30 minutes) its been running fine, except when I check out the Asus util it flashes and yelled that its too low, possible causes? I'm thinking pots, but in being lazy to open her up and crank them. But I also heard that the 12 v is the same as the 5 v and the 5 is holding up really nicely, oh wait nevermind :bang head I have a low 3 volt lolz, ok i'll check, yet again i'm lazy and i already wrote this, could I get a linky for how to mod pots? Thanks,

I'll accept your remarks about my lazyness :)

Saruji.

but what bios and motherboard revision are you using?

my point is, many of us dont automatically trust motherboard sensors. if you verify the numbers with your own readings, then you can trust them. if you are having problems and the sensors seem off, it might be a good place to start, but i still wouldnt trust them until i checked. knowing that other people have gotten good readings from the same motherboard is a good indicator, but its not rock solid.

also, if he was going to adjust the rail, and his motherboard sensor was off for whatever reason, he could cause some MAJOR damage.

No its ok, I followed your link (thanks btw) and I read up on how to adjust pots and check voltage, cool I even know how to jump start my psu :D . Now have nice voltage running through all of the rails, 12v @ 12.096v, the 5v @ 5.134v and the 3.3v @ 3.424v. The only thing is you see this pic

fortron530voltageadjustment.jpg

The ones that read DO NOT TOUCH THESE, well guess what :bang head by accident I adjusted one,(the one between the 12/5v pot and the 3v) I moved it back to where it was, or pretty darn close to it, My problem is that my cpu voltage has gone down to 1.454, down from 1.5. The computer is running fine so it could be the Asus mobo just reading wrong but I fear I might have messed up a divider or something, because the other problem I had was adjusting the 5v and 12 v pot, While measuring the 5 v pot I would have the 5 volt go up but the 12 volt would not go up nearly as fast, so I would have 5.5 volts going through the 5v and the 12 v would get only 11.7, so I adjusted the 5v pot some more to about 5.7 and now the 12v read fine. I closed everything back up and Asus bios and monitors are showing me the voltages I described above.

Question: What does that middle pot control? dividers/ratio's?

Saruji.

Saruji said:
Question: What does that middle pot control? dividers/ratio's?

Overvoltage protection. Your fluctuating vcore is a result of the effectiveness of the motherboard's own voltage regulators. The PSU has little to do with this reading beyond supplying a stable 12v for the board to work with.

5.7v is a little high... I hope with a multimeter you aren't getting readings this high when the PSU is in your system. Note that this unit often produces odd readings when powering it up outside a computer though, and if this was the case when you got the 5.7v, that's actually normal for it. Often you'll get a low reading on the 12v at the same time. This is due to the PSU needing a 2A minimum load on the 5v rail to regulate properly.

Back