• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got a p4 2.5 with code sl6eb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buduglee

Registered
Anyone hear of this one? The batch# is L228a475.
The pack date is 9/26/02. The package doesn't say where it was mfg.
I'll install it tomorrow after work and let you know how it does.

goatzool

2.5 batch

The one I got a few days ago is a SL6GT,
batch L229A653, pack date 9/4/02. I am running it at 3.0 with reasonable stability, water-cooled. It will not make the jumpt to a 133 FSB at the highest Vcore on my ASUS board, 1.725. I am eventually going to bridge the vid pins with rear window defogger to get a little higher Vcore.

Please let us know how well yours does out of the box and after tinkering. The CPU database only has 6 entries so far, and two have gone over 3.0, one on air.

hc1001

wow u guys are getting older chips of 2.5 and urs OCs betta than the ES 2.5 i had that was made in week 26 2002....i could only get around 2.650 prime stable. anything above that wouldnt be prime stable but it was stable for the rest of the comp.

OP
B

buduglee

Registered
ok, my suggestion is..... don't buy it if you have an asus p4s533
or other board that doesn't have a better way of dealing with the pci bus.
I got to my desktop @ 133fsb but 3dmark would lock up immediately both at 1.825 and 1.85v.With higher voltage it might be stable at 133fsb but I doubt it.
I would bet it would be stable around 129 or 130 but I can't do that with my mobo due to pci issues.
I put back my 1.8 @ 2.5 rock stable and rma'd the 2.5.
I'm going to wait until the prices drop in a couple of weeks and get a 2.8, go to a 150 fsb and that should hold me until I upgrade
my mobo, etc.
By the way....heat was not an issue.I am watercooled and never get past 39C under load.

Steve

goatzool

questions

I have the ASUS P4S533 and you're correct that between 120 and 132 FSB there are PCI bus problems.

How did you get to 1.8 Vcore? The max in my BIOS is 1.725. Did you wrap the pins or paint across the pin holes?

OP
B

buduglee

Registered
goatzool,
neither..I did the upside down 'U' with copper wire connecting the pin holes.It let's me get to 1.85v.

goatzool

I'll have to try that. Sounds less complex than wrapping or painting.
Thanks.

PS - Ran Prime95 for 12 hours last night, I'm stable at 115 (2.88) and not at 120 (3.0) although every other program appears to run fine, and will be trying the in between fsb's. So it may be that this chip isn't a great overclocker after all.

goatzool

Not Prime95 stable at 117 either. I can play UT and do anything else at 120 but evidently the processor is making math errors at anything above 115.

FIZZ3

goatzool said:
Not Prime95 stable at 117 either. I can play UT and do anything else at 120 but evidently the processor is making math errors at anything above 115.

That's a pity... tried the voltage thing yet? Also mind the ram settings and PCI/AGP, if you haven't already.

Another mediocre C1 overclock it seems... too bad.

goatzool

Haven't tried the vid pins yet. (As you know, Fizz3, my eyesight ain't so good, so I'm hesitant.) My case came wth a crappy power supply and I'm expecting fed ex to deliver an Antec True 430 today. i think I'll try the less dangerous solution first. Will post results in a few days.

FIZZ3

goatzool said:
Haven't tried the vid pins yet. (As you know, Fizz3, my eyesight ain't so good, so I'm hesitant.) My case came wth a crappy power supply and I'm expecting fed ex to deliver an Antec True 430 today. i think I'll try the less dangerous solution first. Will post results in a few days.

Well let's hope the PS delivers the boost you need then. As an aside, should you eventually turn to the pintrick nonetheless, you'll find it relatively easy in the sense that the pins to be connected are relatively easy to access and the bridgepoints are all on straight lines too. My experience is that a pintrick will not do much good unless you encounter a cold boot problem, as the BIOS voltages usually go up high enough to make anything above that not worth the danger... but this depends on mainboard choice, of course.