• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got a Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1magus

Registered
I need some help overclocking it. At the moment I doubt I can reach above 3.2 GHz, because I believe with my current power supply I have just enough juice to run everything.
SPECS:
Motherboard: MSI NF980-G65 (GeForce)
Power Supply: Eagle 500-530 W
CPU: Phenom II X4 BE 955 3.2 GHz
RAM: 4GB of DDR3 1600
GPU: 8800gts EVGA 320mb of VRAM
I also had to set the RAM freq to 1600 manually and I'm not even sure if I did it right :shrug:, CPU-Z claims it is 800 DRAM does that mean it is using all of the speed at 1600? Kind of still confused as to how overclocking works.

My real question here is how fast can I gt the Phenom II under the stock cooling that it comes with?

freshfresh

Registered
ok you need to provide more information so that you can be helped.
what type of memory? name brand and model. you will have to set the voltage and a proper timing. I will read up on this board never oc'ed a ddr3 board but should not be a problem you can to a sight that you can learn from. Alot also depends on you.

OP

1magus

Registered
Ok It is G.Skill DDR3 1600 2x2GB Sticks
Current Timings are Dual Channels NB Freq 2000mhz
DRAM: 800MHz
These timings seem to changed when I set the RAM to DDR3 1600 mode in the bios (For some reason they were defaulted to 1333)
Are these bad timings?
9-11-11-29-40

Last edited:

Ha-Nocri

yes, they are bad I would say. But to know for sure we need to know the exact model of those G.Skill's.

QuietIce

Disabled
:welcome: to OCF!

Your PSU is powerful enough if it's a good PSU. PSU quality is often more important than it's power rating.

800 MHz would be correct for DDR3-1600 speeds. RAM is double-clocked so the frequency is always half the rating.

Have you read through Dolk's Guide yet? It's a good place to get started figuring out how your Phenom works.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=596023

How fast? is how hot? and that's a function of the individual CPU you have (each CPU is different!), how good your case airflow is, and the temperature of your room - called the ambient temp. Most CPU's reach their peak OC speed at 55-57°C under load. Load temp is measured by running a program like Prime95 or OCCT to stress your CPU. Prime95 requires a program like CoreTemp to read the temperature off the CPU. OCCT has it's own temperature routine.
Prime95
OCCT
CoreTemp

The best way to find your default or "stock" RAM timings is using CPU-Z's SPD tab. If you can either post a screen shot of that tab or copy the values listed there in the 800 column that would be great.

Good luck OC'ing ... :)

OP

1magus

Registered
Here is what CPU Z currently says:

Attachments

• Timings.jpg
    Timings.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 112
OP

1magus

Registered
So right now it says my RAM Timings are:
9-11-11-29-40 1T

Are you saying I should manualy change them to:
9-9-9-25-40 2T ?

If this is correct please say so, I'm not so sure how to do this in the BIOS.

Or should I be changing them to lower settings, Cause on the lower latency it has less clock rate or DRAM Freq?

OP

1magus

Registered
Currently set to 9-9-9-24-40 1T is this correct? Running 1:4 800mhz (1600)

QuietIce

Disabled
That's great - exactly what you want right now! :thup:

Next step is to see how far you can push the CPU on stock voltage. Set the vCore to 1.35v or so and start raising the CPU multiplier one-half step at a time. After each increase do a quick stability test by running P95 or OCCT for 10-15 minutes and be sure to check the core temperature maybe five minutes into the test. As long as you're below 55°C and you pass the 10 minute test then keep raising the multiplier ...

OP

1magus

Registered
The thing is I need to wait until I get a new Power Supply before I even try Overclocking, right now it barely has enough to run everything the Phenom Quad and 8800gts are HUGE power hogs. But I will try that thanks! :cool:

QuietIce

Disabled
If you use OCCT to stress it also records voltages. If your PSU is running short on power it'll show up as a drop in voltage - usually across the 12v line. ±2% is the standard acceptable limit for most people so a 12v reading from 11.76-12.24v is still good ... :)

theflyingrat

If you use OCCT to stress it also records voltages. If your PSU is running short on power it'll show up as a drop in voltage - usually across the 12v line. ±2% is the standard acceptable limit for most people so a 12v reading from 11.76-12.24v is still good ... :)

Software monitoring is pretty ineffective with this. The line voltage may read as stable (whether it actually is or not is another matter) but ripple and noise in the line that could potentially damage components will not. OP comments in his first post that it's an Eagle power supply - probably a Voltas series model, which are infamously cheap supplies that shouldn't be trusted with any real load at all. OEM is usually Leadman for these, which are absolutely bottom-of-the-barrel, output quality-wise. The Sanhawk-built models are almost as awful, but OW has gotten them to fail completely by simply raising the operating temperature of the units. OP is right - they're well-served by eliminating this inevitable future catastrophic failure. ;)

QuietIce

Disabled
Actually your article suggests the ripple is pretty low for those units.

To be honest though, I did have trouble finding info on the Eagle. 3D doesn't even list them and I seem to have problems searching JonnyGuru though I love the reviews ... :)

theflyingrat

Actually your article suggests the ripple is pretty low for those units.

To be honest though, I did have trouble finding info on the Eagle. 3D doesn't even list them and I seem to have problems searching JonnyGuru though I love the reviews ... :)

Ripple is only low for this Sanhawk model. They had 2 or 3 other OEMs, and the Voltas was one of the rebadged MGE (Youngyear) models if I'm not mistaken. To be avoided at all costs. 500W would be so grossly optimistic for one that it's almost tragic.

JG is the best source for PSU data; they practically pioneered how power supplies should be evaluated, they were followed shortly after by [H] and Hardwaresecrets, which also will yield some pretty good information...

ETA : Always a fun article! Not necessarily applicable in every detail to OP's "500W" unit, but it's not at all unlikely that it would perform similarly on all counts.

Last edited: