• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got Klipsch 2.1 GMX and have a bogus hiss.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Yep...its a nasty, bogus, crappy, loud, constant hiss. But....it could be from my onboard sound though. I have the 2.1 plugged into my Shuttle SFF onboard AC97 chip. I don't know if that would do it but its there...and fairly loud too. I also noticed the speakers pop a little when I place a call on my cell phone. I think the cell 2.4ghz bandwidth is interferring with the speakers. but its only when I place a call that I can hear the pop...and it is everytime too. What do you guys think?

man i was gonna go with klipsch over my logitechs and i read reviews on newegg
and everyone was saying the klipsch have a nasty hiss, so i think it's the speakers.
i think logitechs are louder, i'm happy with my choice

I have the Logitech Z680's on my home rig and they are nothing less that perfection! Excellent scale in both clarity and tone and no "bogus hiss." Albeit a small almost imperceptable hiss...but nothing compared to the Klipsch 'white noise.":(

I put the Klipsch 2.1 on my office rig and now I'm regretting it....BIG TIME!

One word...............BOGUS!

Wait a minute here...I just got the same setup, except its on an M-Audio Revolution. There's a tiny little bit of constant hiss, but everything else is so accurate, nice-sounding, and you have to be 2" away from the speaker to hear it, so it doesn't matter to me. They're still a very good setup.

Edit: Also, Logitechs by reputation overpower the bass, I think...I don't know, I don't have any experience with them, but I like my jazz balanced :p

mateo said:
Wait a minute here...I just got the same setup, except its on an M-Audio Revolution. There's a tiny little bit of constant hiss, but everything else is so accurate, nice-sounding, and you have to be 2" away from the speaker to hear it, so it doesn't matter to me. They're still a very good setup.

Edit: Also, Logitechs by reputation overpower the bass, I think...I don't know, I don't have any experience with them, but I like my jazz balanced :p

Hmmmmm,? Maybe its the onboard AC97 audio chip that I have them plugged into? I don't have any more room for a sound card cause its a Shuttle SFF....maybe if I bought an exterior sound card? Like an extegy?:

Doesn't M-audio make an external sound card?

M-Audio does, its the Sonica, but from what I've heard its crap compared to the Revo.

I just popped in some Pat Metheny, its his new solo acoustic album One Quiet Night, and I can hear more hiss than before. Maybe its a "burn-in" thing, maybe its just this particular album because its quieter and relies very little on bass, I don't know. I just set it up last night so I was a little bit on a high then ;).

Edit: you can only hear the hiss when its really quiet, and only when its turned up beyond 1/3, roughly, on the volume control.

Sorry to take so long to get back on this. It's definitely a break-in thing. Hiss is still there for some really quiet stuff, but now its imperceptible on medium-quiet stuff- its just lower all around. I don't think you can avoid hiss on anything audio at this level, anyway (speaker wise, that is).

Speakers hissing is a hit-or-miss type of a thing. It just depends on the many, many, many different variables as to where the speakers are playing. For instance, I've heard of people (forget what forum, might have been this one) who had a magical wire arrangement allowing them to hear radio broadcasts in one position, but if they moved the wires they would hear nothing.

BTW, the standard PM speakers are better than the GMX ones for quality.

I realized the PM difference after I bought the GMX :(

Also, CRTs mess up the audio if the speakers are close to them. LCDs don't, though :).

I can hear static disruptions though my Klipsch speakes when I download something through my wireless network and when I use my cell phone. I am really unimpressed with these speakers.:(

Back