• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed Linux Red Hat 8.0 and wont let me log in?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdf24

It keeps asking for local host, then password. But what is the local host? I know what password I set while installing it. But I'm not sure what to put in for Local Host name.
Any Idea's?

OP
B

bdf24

I'll reboot and give it a try. Thank's!
Just tried it and that does'nt do it. I think I may reformat the partition and start the setup all over again. I must have missed something.

Last edited:

XWRed1

It should have asked you for a password when installing. root is the username, then use your password.

Localhost is the default computer name for your computer, thats all.

OP
B

bdf24

XWRed1 said:
It should have asked you for a password when installing. root is the username, then use your password.

Localhost is the default computer name for your computer, thats all.
Well actually what's happening is I keep getting a bright blue box with two set's of Garbled text. I don't know what it says. I can click on them but then it goes back to a text or dos like setting asking for the local host. No matter what I type in it then ask's for a password. Then If I type in the password I put in during setup it keep's telling me the local host is incorrect.

I think maybe it has something to do with the harddrive. I think I'm gonna. transfer all my data from one drive to the other. And use the second drive strictly for Linux. And I'll let the setup configure the whole drive once to see if that fixe's it.

Otherwise I'm downloading Mandrake 9.0 to see if it may be a little better or easier for me. We'll see.
If any of you have any advice for me please feel free to fill me in.

Thank's

Last edited:

XWRed1

Well, are you using root as your username? You can't just use any old username.

OP
B

bdf24

XWRed1 said:
Well, are you using root as your username? You can't just use any old username.
I am using Root as the user name. I also had another account setup under "Dennis". But I guess maybe I'm just a little to new to all this. I reformated the HD and installed Mandrake 9.0 on it instead.
I keep getting stuck back to the same place. It keep's asking for the "Local Host" and "Password". If I type Root then type in my password when I ask it just bring's me to another prompt. What do I have to do to get into the Linux GUI? Maybe that's what I'm missing in this whole thing.

OP
B

bdf24

nihili said:
Try startx
Tried that and I get an error. This is what it say's:

"xauth: creating new authority file /root/ .xauthority
xauth: creating new authority file /root/ .xauthority

execve failed for /etc/xll/x (errno2)"

That's it it will not load the GUI. Any idea's?

OP
B

bdf24

Update:

If I go into drakxconf. and test my graphic setting's I get this error:

An error occurred:

(EE) Radeon(0): No valid mode found for this DFD/LCD.

(EE) screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

I know my monitor not in the list of supported monitors. I've got a ViewMate. But I've tried picking something similiar and it still does'nt help. No matter what color or res I pick I get the same error message.

Any Idea's?

Titan386

You should be able to simply use the vesa driver and if you know the horizontal and vertical refresh rates of your monitor, configure that as well during installation. The monitor doesn't have to be 'supported' to run the GUI, you just have to configure it.

OP
B

bdf24

Titan386 said:
You should be able to simply use the vesa driver and if you know the horizontal and vertical refresh rates of your monitor, configure that as well during installation. The monitor doesn't have to be 'supported' to run the GUI, you just have to configure it.
Well I now have Mandrake installed not redhat anymore. Is there a way to change the setting's (verticle sync etc...) after the installation. I've tried changing to similiar monitor's or generic monitors. But nothing seems' to work.

David

Forums Super Moderator
In the lilo.conf file, look for a line like so:

vga=normal

Change this to:

vga=791

Then edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file to change the driver to fbdev and the colour depth to 16 bits, resolution to 1024x768.

If you can post here/email me the XF86Config file I could make the changes and send you back the updated copy?

David

OP
B

bdf24

David said:
In the lilo.conf file, look for a line like so:

vga=normal

Change this to:

vga=791

Then edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file to change the driver to fbdev and the colour depth to 16 bits, resolution to 1024x768.

If you can post here/email me the XF86Config file I could make the changes and send you back the updated copy?

David
Well can I get to that from the command prompt. I cannot get into the GUI. Is there any way to see the content's of the Linux partition's from within windows? Then maybe I could edit that file.

OP
B

bdf24

Well I'm finally in. After making a few adjustments to the monitor setting's I never restarted. I just kept testing and the tests would fail. I never even thought to restart.

A little while ago I was in windows and restarted. Left and came back and saw that Mandrake had booted up into GUI mode. :) pretty cool! It's different but cool.
I'll have to do a lot of messing around and playing to get the hang of this though.

Well just thought I'd let you guy's know that I'm in and typing from Linux Mandrak 9.0 right now.

Thank's for all your advice.

Dennis F.