• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just need an advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BonaOver

Registered
Hey guys I got a z97 Fatality killer with an i7 4790k and a GTX 980, I'm running my system with an EVGA 600B 80 plus bronze, it is a very good PSU but I wanted to know how safe could I go? My goal atm is 4.5Ghz on CPU (Watercooled with Seidon 120V) and at least 1500Mhz on turbo clock on my GTX 980, which is an EVGA SC ACX2.0, running 1266Mhz stock. I know idealy it would be best to get a 700W+ PSU but I think 600W can work. What could be the worst case scenario here? Not planning to overclock my mem (2x8 HyperX Fury 1600Mhz).

In terms of voltage, what should be my safe limit voltage on CPU and GPU mV increase? (Considering my motherboard), I'll be doing cinebench tests for getting my lowest voltage on the CPU and adding 4% on top of it for achieving daily stability.

PS: First time posting here ! A pleasure to enter the overclock world ^

The psu isn't remotely a concern. You can run 2 980s and overclock that cpu and the gpus while the psu doesn't break a sweat. Remeber, the gpus are 165w each with a lower power limit for overclocking. Your cpu is what 90w... overclocking will bring it up to 125w or so.. and 50W or so for the board fams, drives, etc, then do the math.... ;)

As far as overclocking, read the haswell guide in my signature so you have ano idea of what you are doing. That said, keep voltage under 1.4-1.45v and temps under 90c while stress testing (cinebench is not nearly long enough) and you will be fine. For 4.5ghz, I'd try 1.3v and work your way down until the least amount of VT age needed to be stable. Don't add your random 4%, just find the lowest stable bub. :)

As far as the gpu, you can't kill it. Crank the power limit and see how high you can push the core before it artifacts or freezes. Keep an eye on power limit in msi afterburner and your core clocks. You want it to be steady and not throttle due to hitting the power limit. If you still have headroom, then raise the voltage a bit and push on while still watching the power limit and core clocks for a constant speed.

The psu isn't remotely a concern. You can run 2 980s and overclock that cpu and the gpus while the psu doesn't break a sweat. Remeber, the gpus are 165w each with a lower power limit for overclocking. Your cpu is what 90w... overclocking will bring it up to 125w or so.. and 50W or so for the board fams, drives, etc, then do the math.... ;)

As far as overclocking, read the haswell guide in my signature so you have ano idea of what you are doing. That said, keep voltage under 1.4-1.45v and temps under 90c while stress testing (cinebench is not nearly long enough) and you will be fine. For 4.5ghz, I'd try 1.3v and work your way down until the least amount of VT age needed to be stable. Don't add your random 4%, just find the lowest stable bub. :)

As far as the gpu, you can't kill it. Crank the power limit and see how high you can push the core before it artifacts or freezes. Keep an eye on power limit in msi afterburner and your core clocks. You want it to be steady and not throttle due to hitting the power limit. If you still have headroom, then raise the voltage a bit and push on while still watching the power limit and core clocks for a constant speed.

Will definitely check it out ! Btw I only use Cinebench to find the BSOD when lowering the voltage, I'm uisng AIDA64 for checking temps under 100% for around 30min

Back