• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just need some help, ICS with 2 comps not going well...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albigger

ok, here's my setup:

Main PC:
1 netgear gigabit fiber adapter
1 realtek fast ethernet NIC
winxp pro

Secondary PC:
1 realtek fast ethernet NIC
win2k

connected via RJ45 crossover cable.

all connections work, and I'm at a university, so my main PC connects to the Net via 'other computers' as so called in the connection setup wizard - the other computers on campus

i want to share my connection to my second PC. In the network connections dialogue box, in the properties/advanced for the gigabit connection, i check the box saying "allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" then hit apply, and after like 15 seconds, get this message:

there was an error while applying internet connection sharing.

the dependency service or group failed to start.

was this something in services.msc i might have disabled? i tried enabling most of that stuff to no avail.

can anyone shed any light here? thanks

edit: also my main PC has static IP address

ICS was on manual, put it to auto and tried to start - it failed to start because of dependencies.
checked dependencies tab - NLA, Network connections, applications layer gateway, and remote access connection manager

checked those, in addition to server, workstation, comp. browser, all started except remote access connection manager

tried to start - got error:

"Could not start Rem. Acc. Conn. Manager service on Local Computer.

Error 5: Access is denied."

so what does that mean?

OP
A

Albigger

Ok its gotta be somethign that I'm doing to my win XP installs, because my main PC is dual boot (well, triple - 2 XP installs and one 2k) and neither of the XP installs will let ICS run (with those errors as I said above).

but I booted into 2k and enable ICS no problem. working great.

but that really ****es me off. I really want it to work with Win xp as that's the OS i use 96% of the time

EDIT: oh and I can create a bridge on my Main PC but I'm not exactly sure what that does/means. all i know is that If i do that the "Advanced" tab in properties goes away and that's where the checkbox is for ICS but then when there is a bridge also my internet doesn't work at all (even on Main PC) so i don't think that's it.

ronin1967

let me see if I understand you:

you have a primary machine(3 OS's 2-XP's and Win2K), with a static IP, and 2 NIC cards, you want to connect a second machine with Win2k to it using internet connection sharing? I assume to use some sort of highspeed bandwidth?

right so far

OP
A

Albigger

perfectly right so far, sorry if it was muddled, i kinda copied/meshed like 4 of my posts on another forum to this one.

anyway, you have everything correct. oh, i can see the two computers from each other, and transfer files, but its just the internet I can't get to work on the 2nd machine

ronin1967

just a quick question, and then we will solve your problem, why not go through a router? I know with some broadband connecitons you have to using ICS because you need to establish only one IP, and the router ruins that, is that the case here, or is that you happen to have an extra NIC, so you did it that way?

OP
A

Albigger

well i bought the NIC's cheap a while ago, (like $5 or something) knowing i would have a spare PC in a little while. so now i have all the parts for it and i just wanted to start to mess around with networking, also maybe be an easy way to back up some files. so i just went and bought the crossover cable for a couple bucks.

routers are like $50 and up, right? i need a new proc. in my good comp. before a router. does a router offer any other specific advantages (if i won't be networking any more than 2 pc's)?

ronin1967

nope no real advanages, only thing with ICS is the main machine always has to be on...with a router they are independent of each other(most of the time)...

this should be easy...actually real easy...

The primary machine has two NIC's one that connects to the highspeed, the second to the other machine

You deal with each of of these independent from the other, the one connected to the highspeed, can have a firewall and a static IP and whatever else you want.

The one that connects to the second machine must not have a firewall, must have ICS enabled, use Auto detect for IP.

If you must you can run network wizard, but I fnid it does more harm than good...

OP
A

Albigger

well i've tried running the wizard mostly because i'm not too familiar with networking, and most everything seems working like i said - internet on main pc works as usual, and the connection between the two of them work as i can share/send files.

also, ICS works when I boot the main PC (with 2 nics) into 2k, but not when i boot into XP. I get that error message (in above post) about the dependencies not starting or something when I try to enable the ICS box.

do you have any clue what that could be from? thanks again for all your help so far.

ronin1967

when boot the main PC whith 2k it works but not with XP? yes...

if so check the XP settings for the NIC between the 2 machines to see if you have the firewall on or if you have ICS off, the firewall between machines will stop ICS, also if you have tried to install IP's between the two machines that will mess things up...

you have 2 versions of XP on the main machine, Home and Pro?

do you get the same results from both?

OP
A

Albigger

ronin1967 said:
when boot the main PC whith 2k it works but not with XP? yes...
correct

ronin1967 said:

do you get the same results from both?

i have two Xp pro installations, same OS, its just one is on raid array and other is not, i'm in the process of migrating to the raid array one so i can just use the other hdd as backup for stuff

also i do not have the firewall running in either of the xp installations and i have not tried to manually specify any IP's, i left everything set to auto.

ronin1967

We are dead yet, just wounded...

Well we know we have good physical connections, and we know the cross-over cable works.

I know for a fact that Windows XP(even though it is the newest OS)doesn't have to be the primary machine when running ICS, infact it usually runs better if the Primary machine is an older OS, but Win2K and XP are pretty much the same(that usually applies to ME or 98SE), but it does work the way you want it...

that error is caused by one or more disabled serives that is need to run ICS, could you send me a screen shot of your services when XP is up?

OP
A

Albigger

how about this:

serv1.jpg

and:

serv2.jpg

I tried putting almost everything on manual or auto to still no avail.

ronin1967

Application Layer Gateway Service provides support for 3rd party plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing/Internet Connection Firewall. This service is required if using Internet Connection Sharing / Internet Connection Firewall to connect to the internet. Make sure you set it to Automatic.

You'll also notice ICF/ICS hasn't started, that is due to the fact the Application Layer Gateway Service wasn't started, also Network Connections should be on Automatic, Network Lan Awareness(NLA) should be on Automatic,

I will check this list while you set these, then you need to restart...

OP
A

Albigger

yeah i know about that site, i also know i need some stuff like server and computer browser when on my network. but i forgot he had the defaults up there, that's good to know, thanks.

well i set to auto ICS, Net. connectrions, NLA, app layer gateway, and still no go. same error message.

OP
A

Albigger

ok, made sure i logged in as admin now. now ICS/firewall also depends on Remote Access connection manager correct?

when I try to start that i get:

"Could not start R. A. C. Manager service on Local Computer.

Error 5: Access Denied"

and when I just try to start the ICS service i get:

"Could not start the ICF/ICS service on Local Computer.

Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start."

OP
A

Albigger

ok here's what i get in the the 'system' part of event viewer after i try running ICS service:

Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers. Restart the computer. Access is denied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

OP
A

Albigger

except when i click on the link in the dialogue box it brings up another box with this info:

Category none
comp. name microsoft corp
date 11/02/2002
event id 20035
file name mprmsg.dll
file version 5.1.2600.0
source rasman

and some other stuff