• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just opened my new DDR4 Ram!!!! Please help me on this question I have ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowbiz

Registered
So i really don't want to do this but I figure I would ask for everyones opinion on this...

I recently ordered a kit of Corsair Dominator Platinum 64gb DDR4 Ram (2400MHz) and I just received it in the mail today.
Well to my pleasant surprise, when I opened the box and looked it was actually the 2666MHz kit!!!!

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/domina...ram-2666mhz-c15-memory-kit-cmd64gx4m8a2666c15

I wanted to jump around like a little kid on christmas morning!
Then after I started thinking about it, and looking at the retail price of this kit (Which I'm not sure if it makes a difference but this kit actually came with the 2 LED Fans that attach to the ram on the mb) so not sure if thats the normal kit listed above or if this is a different one..
But anyways, i started thinking about maybe putting it for sale on eBay for the retail price, since the retail price is almost $1700.00 and I only paid $900... In theory I could sell this kit, buy a cheaper but comparable kit and have a chunk of extra money that I could use to purchase another 1 ....or 2 graphics cards depending on what one i pick...

Do you guys/girls think I should keep my amazing deal on this awesome kit of ram or should i sell it and get other goodies for my new build with the extra cash?!??!?!??!?!?!?

That's a tough answer to give.

The performance difference between 2666 and 2400 is likely very slim. I would check your packing slip/invoice to see if it also states 2400 or 2666.

Past that would be business honesty, I imagine most people would chalk it up to shipping fault and keep the extra (I honestly probably would) and wouldn't bother contacting the company. But many would probably go the honest route and notify the company of their mistake, /shrug.

If you can get around $13-1500 for it
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...nator+2666+64gb&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

From looking at sold items of teh same stuff it looks to be possible, then it certainly wouldn't hurt the pocket to have the extra cash.

I have to know -- why do you need 64GB of RAM for your machine? Do you do a lot of virtualization?

About the 'worst' I would do with it is keep it. I wouldn't flip it as that just feels too dishonest for me.

I also wonder why the need for 64GB of ram... wow.

EDIT: I see in your build thread you mention VMs.

Last edited:
You might be toying with someones lively-hood from, perhaps, an honest mistake.

Send an email to new egg, explaining the situation. Should be treated EXACTLY the same as if you got lower quality ram if you ask me. Ask them to compensate you for your time though... they DID screw up, and should rectify it.

Guys no dishonesty is involved, I purchased it brand new from someone on eBay. And they said they simply mislabeled the posting.. So we're all good. I only paid 900$ for it as well (brand new , unopened )

Guys no dishonesty is involved, I purchased it brand new from someone on eBay. And they said they simply mislabeled the posting.. So we're all good. I only paid 900$ for it as well (brand new , unopened )

In that case, flip it for a profit and find another deal :)

In that case, flip that ****! Nice score...

edit: holy crap, not sure why I assumed you got it from newegg, I apologize o_O

Back