• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just ordered a wd raptor 36 gig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saints 26

My question is how can I get all my information off my current hd and transfer it to my new hd?

CrashOveride

Burn it to CD's, make an image with somthing like ghost (a symantec or norton or whatever program that makes an image of your whole HDD), use antoher HDD to copy it, or just install it with just the rapor in and then put the other HDD in and copy the files. There is also an option in windows XP to save your settings I think, but I havn't ever seen anyone actually knew stuff about computers use that. If you do decide to install on teh Raptor and then put the HDD back in and copy the files make sure you take them out of the user directory (My Documents), there is a setting that encrypts that so that it cannot be accessed by any easy means.
Hope that helped a lil:D
Welcome To The Forums!:D
Introduce Yourself:D

OP
S

Saints 26

Thank You! I think I'll install the raptor and then put the maxtor back in and go with that route.

CrashOveride

Just DO make sure the files are not in your user directory... If they end up ecrypted I don't know that you can get them back easily at all. (I ran into problems with everything I tried when I was helping my friend).

gaza

you can get back ecrypted files you just have to boot into safe mode and change the owner of the drive or folder.. realy not bad..
that is why you should put a pass on the adminstrator account in xp home.. if not there realy is no security

CrashOveride

gaza said:
you can get back ecrypted files you just have to boot into safe mode and change the owner of the drive or folder.. realy not bad..
that is why you should put a pass on the adminstrator account in xp home.. if not there realy is no security

not if you can't boot and can't repair install :p that was the case with me, reguardless it is still a good saftey percation.

Deathknight

Nod. Its just the NTFS file permissions at work is all ;) Default file permissions on my documents is the user whose my documents folder it is and the administrators group.

wquiles

I would still recommend the ghost route for yet another reason - it is the fastest way to restore your OS and programs after a crash or corruption. I tend to have to re-install the OS 2-3 times a year and before using ghost it was a royal pain to have to re-install the OS, all of the Service Packs, all of the "normal" programs I use, etc.,. - the whole ordeal seem to always take a better part of a day, which is a royal waste of time. With ghost, you just "copy" the image to the drive and you are done in 10-15 minutes.

flowrider

Drive copy. Make the 120 your master and your old drive the slave and run Drive copy. Just copy the whole drive and Drive Copy will take into account the differences in size.