• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just received August29 WU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ookabooka

Wasn't seti supposed to end with the last august WU? Am I analyzing a few minutes of data on the last day of collection? Basically this was just a wake-up call. What is going to happen after this, I have heard of BOINC taking over, with a variety of distributed computing tasks. Is August29 the last day of information to be distributed?

edit: actually my setique backed up a september 04 unit, i just didn't look in my queue, only what i was processing. Still begs the question: When is this seti over?

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
AFAIK, BOINC is still in the beta stages. So if I had to guess, I don't think BOINC will be out in full force before the new year. We still haven't gotten that magical e-mail from Berkeley to tell us to switch over yet.

OP
ookabooka

ookabooka

true, but I would assume they would do so as soon as all their calcualtions with this round of seti was complete. I think that these are the last ones, so as soon as they are complete in sending them out to people, they would post something on their webpage as how to switch over.

SkyHook

Senior Village Idiot
As Far As I Know

I have yet to see anything indicating that data collection has officially stopped at Arecibo. All I can say with any certainty is that a year ago at this time we were within days of being out of a job as far as this phase of SETIatHome was concerned and here we all are still crunching away like there is no tomorrow. Berkeley is really no different than any other entity with a major announcement on the horizon, it's talked about, it's praised, it's booed, it's pushed back, and finally and most likely when least expected it's released.

Basically no time schedule is cast in stone, they are as fluid and dynamic as the cosmos itself.

SkyHook