• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just received my NForce 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desperado84

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
i am really excited to install it (have to format to do that, and haven't backed up yet, but will do it tonight)
i have a question.
it have 2 IDE's and 2 SATA's.
it caims that the SATA's are RAID, but how am i supposed to use it ?
i have no SATA drives ??????
is there a place where i can get an adaptor for it ?
or is there a place i can get SATA drives from ?
i say this cause i have 4 drive, and don't like them being on the same channel, if i had RAID i could have one on each channel
hope yo guys can help

beezee

SATA drives are not out on the market... adapters are pretty hard to find.... so basically for now you can't use it. Besides if I'm correct there is only one SATA channel. In order to have a desirable raid array you need at least 2 channels...
Anyway maybe you could post some benchmarks and whatnot after you get everything up and running? Good luck! :)

OP
D

Desperado84

so why did Asus bundle them with the Mobo,.
i would have rathered an extra to IDE's
ARGH.
everything else about it seems to be good though
i will post specs when i get it up and running

beezee

SATA drives are scheduled to hit the market soon. I guess they "jumped the gun?" :D

h0mersimps0n

marketing ploy..... I mean who would buy a board w/o SATA?

I know I couldn't live without it, specially with the wide variety of SATA drives available to the consumer. I mean come on:rolleyes:

OP
D

Desperado84

so how can i gain use of them ?
anyone know where to get adapters ?
also, when will SATA drives hit
thanks

DiaperGravy

Is this what your looking for? Might check it out, couldn't hurt:D

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,563,00.html

Model Number:ST3120023AS
Capacity:120 GB
Speed:7200 rpm
Seek time:9 ms avg
Interface:Serial ATA
Suggested Resale Price*:

Features Benefits

7,200 RPM desktop performance
Improves overall PC performance

350 Gs nonoperating shock
Protects drive from shock and vibration

3D Defense System
Industry's most comprehensive drive and data protection system

DiscWizard software
World's best disc installation software utility

SoftSonic(TM) FDB motor
Quietest acoustics on any desktop drive

8-Mbyte cache buffer
Improved performance

Serial ATA interface
Fastest data transfer rates

These guys will have the Drives instock as of "December 16"
http://www.the-wizards.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=43

Last edited:

snyper1982

you know guys im getting so tired of hearing how everything new is a marketing ploy. i swear, not everyone upgrades their motherboards every 6 months, so for someone to pick up a motherboard with SATA support is not such a bad idea. especialy if they are not going to upgrade for a while. just because no drives are availible NOW doesnt mean that there wont be any on the market soon. you guys seem to think that just because something new comes out and isnt useable right away, doesnt mean it will never be usable. now would it be smart for a hard drive company to release a hard drive that no one could use because no motherboards support it? no, it wouldnt. im just so tired of hearing so many people on these forums say anything new is a marketing ploy, they seem to forget that not everyone upgrades as often as they do.

Jstic

Serial ATA is going to be faster and better than IDE. There are many benefits including lower latency, lower voltage requirements, much smaller cabling and most importantly, better performance.

There was a review recently at www.lostcircuits.com, or an article that gave a good overview of how much better serial ATA will be than IDE.

BTW, good luck with your board desperado, I love mine.

The SIIG serial ATA-IDE adapters are now shipping to retailers and will be available in the next couple weeks for about $29.

Also, serial ATA drives should be showing up any time now online and in stores, definitely by Xmas.

jacheatamobits

thank you SOOO much snyper1982, for telling it like it is

umm... lets say you could buy a mobo right now that would support the XP3200, or other chips down the line.

and you were in the market for an upgrade...

why would you buy a mobo without the ability to take advantage of the next interface? (im not going to get into how much better it is)

8X AGP was another "marketing ploy" so to say, but now the vid. cards are right aroung the corner!

OP
D

Desperado84

i didn't say it was a marketing ploy, i just said i would have prefered IDE RAID
if it's gonna have only 2 IDE's and 2 SATA then that's wrong,
if they want to have SATA, then it should be extra,
so 4 IDE and then 2 SATA.
but missing out on the IDE's for SATA is annoying
that's all

TheFrag

snyper1982 said:
you know guys im getting so tired of hearing how everything new is a marketing ploy. i swear, not everyone upgrades their motherboards every 6 months, so for someone to pick up a motherboard with SATA support is not such a bad idea. especialy if they are not going to upgrade for a while. just because no drives are availible NOW doesnt mean that there wont be any on the market soon. you guys seem to think that just because something new comes out and isnt useable right away, doesnt mean it will never be usable. now would it be smart for a hard drive company to release a hard drive that no one could use because no motherboards support it? no, it wouldnt. im just so tired of hearing so many people on these forums say anything new is a marketing ploy, they seem to forget that not everyone upgrades as often as they do.

I only say it is a marketing ploy cuz it is. Anyway............... the person would have to buy SATA drives, which are prolly gonna be quite expensive and will prolly be able to buy a new board by the time the prices are "reasonable". Why pay for something you wont be using for a long time?

quegyboe

but not on the boards in this generation of processors
That's funny because most P4 systems are fully capable of using 4x AGP to it's fullest extent! 4x AGP gives 1GB / sec of transfer, and AGP 8x gives 2GB / sec of transfer. Last I checked, a good P4 system can give about 3GB / sec of bandwidth (PC3200 or PC800 RDRam+). So that means that this generation of CPU's can use the bandwidth easily. I think it has more to do with the fact that most video cards now-a-days have so much onboard memory (128MB) that they don't even need the AGP apeture. That would be why we don't see any significant gains with AGP 8x.

h0mersimps0n

I didn't make myself clear. My point was that in order for something to be a true marketing ploy it needs to decieve in some way. This deception comes not from the fact that hardware pre-supports non-existant technologies, but rather claims to support technologies that it doesn't.

perfect example: AGP 8x and the radion 9700 not working in KT400 boards that support 8x agp.

second example: CRN risers (is that the name?) that were implimented then never really supported in the mainstream by hardware co's.

third example: what happened to me last spring when I received my KT333 board hot off the shelves that "supported 2700 ram" when in fact all three major compaines producing 2700 ram could not produce a stick that would run in any of the 333 boards. Eventually maybe, deception initially? definitely......

snyper1982

TheFrag said:

I only say it is a marketing ploy cuz it is. Anyway............... the person would have to buy SATA drives, which are prolly gonna be quite expensive and will prolly be able to buy a new board by the time the prices are "reasonable". Why pay for something you wont be using for a long time?

Well, lets see, if you are already going to upgrade why not pay a little extra for something that IS going to be supported, and not to long from now either from what i hear. you may upgrade every couple of months, but not everyone does, so should that person have to spend more money later for a whole new motherboard that does support it. im just getting so sick of hearing how everything is a marketing ploy. would you prefer that they never release anything new?

Nagorak

snyper1982 said:

If it gets you to buy it, isn't that by definition a marketing ploy? :eek:

TheFrag

snyper1982 said:

Well, lets see, if you are already going to upgrade why not pay a little extra for something that IS going to be supported, and not to long from now either from what i hear. you may upgrade every couple of months, but not everyone does, so should that person have to spend more money later for a whole new motherboard that does support it. im just getting so sick of hearing how everything is a marketing ploy. would you prefer that they never release anything new?

Someone missed my point and I am not telling who. If someone wanted a board with SATA, they would need to buy some SATA drives, which i add are not out yet. They would end up spending a lot of money anyway. My upgrading strategy is to buy fairly old stuff and wait fo rthe new stuff to drop in price. It wouldn't be such a marketing ploy if they release SATA support and stuff when SATA Drives and stuff are out. Although, i must admit that I like it when people release new stuff. Older stuff prices go down! :run:

snvpa

lame oh to all you guys who think sata is a marketing ploy. it might look like one right now but the average user upgrades their mobo every 2 years. 2 years from now all hard drives will probably be sata. if there was no mobo support for sata everyone would be complaining about that. grow up and reaize that for most users a mobo is not replaceble every six months.