• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k7d core voltage mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Be careful. The last thing you want to do is hose a $190 motherboard.

Let us know how it goes. If it works, then this is probably something we should link to in the MB sticky.

OP
himura-dono

himura-dono

Xtreme refugee
will do. my friend efini and i are going to try to vmod the core voltage and attempt the behind the socket mod. however we're having trouble finding it. he's going to pioneer the behind the socket mod if we find it, as the 180 was nothing to him, to me it was a lot, but worth attempting if he pulls it off.

efini

himura-dono said:
will do. my friend efini and i are going to try to vmod the core voltage and attempt the behind the socket mod. however we're having trouble finding it. he's going to pioneer the behind the socket mod if we find it, as the 180 was nothing to him, to me it was a lot, but worth attempting if he pulls it off.

HD,

Fortunately for us, the HIP 6301 is a common voltage regulator chip. I did not realize you haven't found it yet. Its as simple as connecting a resister of your choice to pins 7 and 9. ( a 20-24ohm resister should do; 1/2-1/4w)

Alternatively, you might be able to buy one of those electronic clips and solder it to a fan pin header to the ground wire.(clip to pin 7 and ground to fan header's black wire) That way you wouldn't have to directly solder onto your motherboard. I haven't looked at how large the pin legs on the HIP 6301 are so I don't know if there is enough room for clipping.

The $180 is something to me, you make it sound like I burn money all day. lol :p I'm willing to try that mod out, thats all. If this is successful, you'll probably make me drive to Davis anyways.

-efini

Last edited:
OP
himura-dono

himura-dono

Xtreme refugee
efini-
f00 me hurt j00. the only reason i would need you to come up is for us to chill and hang:beer:, and for me to borrow you're soldering iron. i mentioned this article to you in aim the other day, asking if this is the same one you were talking about hip6301.

besides, i can do the resistor thing myself if that adjustable volt mod one i have is ok. it's got the grabber on one end and something else i think. i have to find it tho, it's been a long time since i've seen it; hope i didn't chuck it in the trash. =\

i want to get this sucker screaming. and set a small space aside for being a big dually oc'er thanks of course to oc.com and my bro efini.

and yea, i know you don't blow money like crazy, but you DID just buy a bmw, AND 2 k7d's, 4 1700+ tbred b's, etc. so son't gimme too much of that man ;) .