• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7D Master (and Mobiles)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emboss

OK, I'm finally going to be trying out my patched BIOS. Went to my usual local shop today and picked up two Applebred 1600's at $NZ75 a pop. Got an OEM CPU tray (the blue things that hold 10 CPUs) thrown in with them since they were the last two chips in the tray. I'm going to pop them into my Soltek 75DRV5 (Via KT333, so supports mobiles) and make sure they prime OK before I mod them, and then I'll see how far they go in that board. Then I'll do a few tests in non-MP, MP, and MP+Mobile mode in the K7D to see if I can find anything that changes (my MSR dump utility). In the meantime, here's the first photo, and the chip codes:

photo1.jpg

Heh heh, poor little chips don't know what's in for them :)

DHD1600DLV1C
MIUHB0417DPMW
T858414D41152

DHD1600DLV1C
MIUHB0417DPMW
T858414D40112

Damn ancient MIUHB's ... ah well, I'm not going to be keeping these anyhow :)

OP
E

emboss

The first Duron is in the testbed:
photo2.jpg

Soltek 75DRV5 + 256mb generic PC2700 + GF2MX200 + 10/100 LAN card + some aluminium HSF with a 70mm fan with a rattle + Seagate 2.1gig HDD + some unknown 8x CD-ROM drive + 250W Hyena PSU = supercomputer of the year award :)

System won't do more than ~148MHz FSB (166 is a no-go) on stock voltage, though there's so much that could be holding it back I'm not too worried. Getting WinXP installed so that I can do some priming, and also try out multiplier adjustments.

edit: Note that the DRV5 (like most KT333 boards) doesn't support a 1/5 divider, so the inability to go above ~150 MHz is not too surprising.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Looks good! This past tuesday I just got my K7D Master-L, 2x XP1700 Tbred B's, 1x XP2100 Tbred B, 2x SLK-800a's and 2 stealth fans. The 1700's have been tested to run 2.25Ghz on a NF7s 2.0 air cooled with stock vcore. Modded the 1700's last L5 for MP mode. At first I could'nt get pass 138fsb cuz i was using a 300w psu. Got an Enermax 465w and now i have these puppies maxed out (12.5x150) with 1.62v :D . What I found out is that my KD7's vcore undervolts like crazy. Stock vcore is 1.6v, in bios it's set to default but when checked in bios monitor it shows 1.52 and drops to 1.5 :rolleyes: I had to compensate by raising the vcore to 1.7ish so it's drop to 1.62. I also noticed my board's bios is v1.62 dated 12/02 lol.

So far my dualie is runnin like a bat outta hell with zero crashes/instability. I'm very happy with it.

Hope your tests pass with flying colors. Keep us posted!

mumrah

should work fine man. my two mobiles are fat happy with your _MF bios :). i pin modded to 1.75vcore and i'm getting stable fbs at 140. i'm waiting on my radiator to get in before i push it past 2500mhz. once the WC is running, i'll do some serious burn in.

Thanks again for kicking ***

OP
E

emboss

Yup, all systems go! :) Joined up all the L5's, flashed the BIOS, and it worked fine. The only problem is that the chips don't overclock great ... they'll do 2.2GHz (16.5x133) on stock voltage, will do 2.26GHz (17.0x133) at 1.6V, but won't do the next step, 2.4GHz (18.0x133) at 1.70V or below (I chickened out at 1.70V, as I'm not sure what Applebreds will take). However, the K7D is undervolting by about 0.05V, and the cooling isn't great (TT Silent Boosts), so there's probably a bit more room there for people with better gear. Temps are 54 and 57 on the CPUs, which is slightly cooler than my two Bartons at 2GHz IIRC.

I'm also experiencing the no-warm-reboot issue. Should be fun trying to track that one down :|

I'll do a longer post along with MSR comparisons, etc, when I get my computer back together again.

OP
E

emboss

Hmm, having an annoying problem. When I ramp up (or down) the multiplier, the timers in Windows are not updated. So games go really fast, clock gets really screwed up, etc. So I can't actually reliably change the frequency. Has anyone bumped into this issue before? I can write a BIOS "plugin" that will set the frequency before the OS boots, but it'd be nice to be able to change it under Windows (the whole point of the exercise).

OP
E

emboss

I had to swap out the Applebreds for the Bartons (LAN game, needed all the oomph I could get :) ) but I'll be swapping the Applebreds back in tonight for further testing. Here's a couple more photos from the modding:

The first Duron on the operating table. The microscope is a fairly old 100x model. Great for working on small bridges and checking to make sure nothing is crossed:
photo3.jpg

In the middle of testing and moving stuff to the K7D:
photo4.jpg

Step by step how-to (I'll expand on the points later):
1) Get two Applebreds
2) Install one of the Applebreds in the K7D (or use whatever you have in there).
3) Boot using a DOS bootdisk and flash the _MF BIOS: awdflash 191_MF.BIN /sn /py /cc /cp /f
4) Remove the Applebred if you installed it in step 2
5) Fill the three cut L5's. This gives you a Mobile Duron MP with a 24x maximum PowerNow multiplier.
6) Re-install the two Applebreds. You should be away laughing, more or less (the multiplier is still effectively stuck at the L3 default since Windows can't handle multiplier changes in SMP mode).

The multiplier-change-in-Windows is being worked on ... the BIOS plugin to set the multiplier on boot is nearly done :)