• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7D Master -L & T-bred A = Weirdness?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I got a new pair of T-bred A XP1800's yesterday. I tested them on a MSI K7D Master (refurbished, green PCB, non-LAN, BIOS 1.6). They tested well and were able to run 12.5*[email protected] Vcore, running Prime95 overnight. I brought my main rig here (K7D Master-L, red PCB, BIOS 1.6), and took out it's dual XP1600's, that have been running at 12.5*144, and put in the T-bred A's. All I had done to the T-breds, was the L5 unlock. I had been able to get all multipliers on the testing platform, just fine, without any further modification.

I booted up my main rig, with the T-breds installed, and I can't get the 12 or 12.5 multiplier, no matter what I do. If I set it to 12.5, it boots at 11.5. If I set it to 12, it boots at 11. I ran one CPU at a time, thinking it was just one of them that was weird. They both have the same issue. I tried BIOS 1.0 and BIOS 1.5, no help there. I tried unlocking the last L3 bridge, something that is not supposed to be required, and that didn't help either.

This is really weird. My green K7D Master will run 12 and 12.5 multiplier just fine, but my red K7D Master -L won't. I have another K7D Master (red PCB) at home that I'm going to try on tomorrow.

Can everyone please post what K7D motherboard you are using with T-breds (ie. LAN, or non-LAN, green, or red PCB.) Please post what speed and kind of T-bred (A or B) you are running, too. Maybe this is just a one-in-a-million goof, but I wonder if this is a problem beyond that, like maybe red PCB's can't run higher than stock multipliers or maybe the LAN version has the problem.

I dunno. Everyone please post your relevant experience and if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

*EDIT* One other weird thing. I have an XP1700 T-bred B that I blew the bridges on to give it 13X. It works perfectly at 13X in a Shuttle AK35GT2 and in my green K7D Master, but won't boot at all in the red K7D Master -L.

Last edited:
xp1800 tbreds (B's) on a non-lan green pcb w/ bios 1.5. I was able to get mine to work, but had problems at first with them. They're now running great @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 multi changed by cutting the 2nd L3 bridge since the board wouldn't boot w/ multi changed in the bios) but are detected in bios as "unknown Amd cpu 2cpus". But cpu-z shows them as xp's:)

I use Samsung Reg ECC PC2700 in one rig, Samsung unbuffered PC2700 in another, and Crucial unbuffered PC2100 in a third. All three are great memory. The Samsung PC2700 is nice, because you can run 150 FSB with really fast memory timings.

Yep, I brought in my other red K7D Master today, and it runs the regular T-breds at all multipliers and it runs and reads the modifed T-bred at 13X as it should. I probably just need to RMA my K7D Master-L:(

I'm running Crucial pc2100 ecc and it the ram works flawlessly. I've even tried the ram in another uni box and could get it up to 170 before crapping out.

CMC, I'm having no problems at all with my red Master-L, bios 1.5 and Tbred XP1700 A's. I have full multiplier control and no problems at all with 12.5 X 150 with 1.725v vcore.

RMA that board and say that it is having problems with Tbred procs.;) Just don't mention that it is overclocking problems.;) :D

AFAIK it's quite well known that some K7Ds have got problems with T-Breds... just look at all those "can't get my 2200+/2400+ to work" posts (2cpu forums had a quite big thread for an example)..

Henry Rollins II said:
What will you say when u RMA it, "it wont overclock"?!? :D ;)

It's not an overclock issue, it's a "T-bred CPU's aren't running correctly on my system." 13X won't post at all and factory unlocked CPU's won't allow higher multipliers. The motherboard is built with multiplier functionality built it, but it doesn't work right.

If the system wouldn't hit 160 FSB, that would be an overclock issue. This isn't. This is a motherboard that isn't acting right. It's not supporting CPU's that it's supposed to support.

It's still a modded T-Bred, thus voided warranty, thus not anything offically supported by the MB !

Thus voiding the warranty of the chip, yes. The motherboard, however, is not functioning properly!

Why are you arguing with me on this?

It's very plain. The motherboard is not operating properly with T-breds. It has two separate issues. It will not run CPU's with 13X multiplier and it won't allow multi adjustments on factory unlocked chips. Period.

I've never RMA'd a product because I broke it, or it wouldn't overclock as much as I'd like. I'm not doing so, now, either. I'm RMA-ing this motherboard because it is FAULTY!

Back