• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k7d only recognizes one cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krowllaw

k7d master L
2 x mp 2400
1g crucial ram
geforce2
2 80 sata drives & highpoint 1540 raid controller

When I first put this together, it recognized both cpu's. Now it only recognizes one. I reseated them, and switched them, still it only recognizes one cpu. Is this a common problem? Is there anything I can do? BIOS upgrade? It does monitor both cpu temps in bios, and they are hot enough to be on, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help!

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Also, maybe try a second pair of CPU's if you can get your hands on some. Latest BIOS is 1.82, you could also try 1.6 since that version should work OK with your chips.

OP
K

krowllaw

Thanks for the replies. The MP ID setting is set to enabled. Thanks for the suggestion. I went to flash the bios, and found out that the board is not detecting the floppy either. Do you think the two problems are related?

Thanks again!

aftermath

krowllaw said:
2 x mp 2400

it looks liske quite a probblem if they are they realy mp chips. if they are moded xps try to redo the mod.
Check the resistence of the last l5 any way on both chips or run with only one at a time and use cpuz to make sure they id as MP chips.

OP
K

krowllaw

They are really mp chips.

I was able to get the floppy to work with a different cable, and was able to flash to the latest bios. Still only recognizes one cpu.

This is my third k7d, and the other two are rock solid. I hate to mess with them to pull the cpu's out.

Also, they are still under warranty, only had it a week or two...

Thanks for your replies! Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
OP
K

krowllaw

This is really strange. When I have both cpu's in, the system will boot and work fine, but only showing one cpu. When I have only one cpu, in either slot, the system will not boot. No beep codes, nothing. So the only way I can get it to boot is to have both cpu's on the board (doesn't matter which is where) and the board only recognizes one cpu.

Is there anything I can try before I rma this board?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Update:
Never mind. I rma'd it and will receive a new one in a couple of days. My time is worth too much to spend it trying to fix a faulty motherboard. Thanks again for all of your help!

Last edited:
OP
K

krowllaw

Update:

New motherboard came in today. Temps are much better, and it immediately recognized both processors. It has been folding for several hours, with temps at 33, 47 and 51. Thanks for all of your help!