• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7n2 Delta-ilsr, Barton 2500+, Which Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickbuol

OK. I haven't built a PC (outside of about 150 servers) in the last 5 years. Things sure have changed. A friend recommended a MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR mother board and AMD XP 2500+ (Barton core) to start with. I want to over clock this system and have heard that it is easy to do, but the board may be "picky" when it comes to memory config. I heard that it needs 6-layer, CAS 2 or 2.5, 32x8 or 16x8 major brand chips only.

OK. So I am thinking that since the mobo supports PC3200 max, that I should look at some form of PC3200 RAM, especially with overclocking. Is that a valid idea?

Also, I am looking for 512MB total. Should I go with dual channel or whatever?

Brand and model ideas would be very helpful!

Thanks everyone!

alpha_gamer

Go for dual channel only if your mobo supports it. As for the company I would suggest Kingston, Corsair, or Mushkin. If you want to get some really good stuff look around the forum for the threads on BH-5. That RAM will overclock to hell.

OP
N

nickbuol

The mobo says that it does dual channel, but is it that much better?

What else do I need to look for. I have a few brands to check out, but anything else?

Thanks!

hafa

I strongly recommend Corsair XMS PC3200. Make sure that when you purchase your RAM that you get 2 256-MB modules rather than 1 512-MB module so that you can take advantage of the MSI's Dual-channel DDR. Yes, the dual channel makes a significant difference, especially in memory-hungry applications such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and games.

dgk

Mostly I'm in the Asus forum but dual channel on AMD systems is supposed to be little more than hype. I'm no master overclocker and couldn't get my new A7N8X DX faster than 182 or so, but the memory is Samsung Hyperspeed. Good for Samsung but apparently not good enough. 2*256. I just switched it last night to single channel (slots 1 and 2) and got it up to 187. It likely will go much higher but I ran out of time to play.

I'm RMAing the Samsung and ordered 1*512 of Mushkin Black Level 2. I figure I'll run a high FSB and worry about dual channel later. Maybe MSI is different. Maybe Hafa is right about certain apps doing better with Dual Channel. But from what I hear, it offers 2-3% improvement. If I can get the FSB a whole lot higher, that wipes out the improvement.

OP
N

nickbuol

OK. I may have screwed up here. I ordered Corsair CMX512-3200LLPRO 512MB DDR400 XMS3200 Ultra Low Latency ProSeries Memory w/Heat Spreader Retail. This was listed as follows (I thought that when it said "two bank" that it was two dimms. Now I think that it is just really fat and takes up 2 banks in space, but is one dimm. No dual-channel for me, I guess):

The CMX512-3200LLPRO is a 512 MByte, two-bank, ultra-performance DDR SDRAM DIMM designed specifically for gaming applications. This part delivers outstanding performance at high clock speeds and ultra low latencies. As part of Corsair's new XMS ProSeries, this module includes the new high-efficiency aluminum XMS heatsink, and 18 activity LED's that show the level of memory activity on each bank. It has been tested extensively in a variety of motherboards commonly used in gaming rigs. This memory has been verified to operate at DDR400 (200 MHz, 2-3-2-6).

Gangrelorn

Registered
The Kingston pc3000 works great with this mobo.
I believe pc3000 version A are the BH-5 chips which from what I understand are the best for OCing.
I have been running mine for around 5 months now very stable.
I just wish MSi let us adjust the chipset voltage :( could get more out of this setup if they did.

Banyan

dual channel will not give you performance boost like on intel... it really will only give you a bit more in benchs and that's it.

hafa

Benches can be a reflection of real world applications.

AnandTech compares single to dual DDR here: (http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1731&p=2)
They show anywhere from a 0% to a 23% performance gain, depending on the application.

I've found that memory-hungry applications such as Photoshop can noticably benefit from a Dual-DDR arrangement.

Whether or not nickbuol will benefit from Dual DDR is something that he will need to determine based upon the particular memory requirements of the applications used most.

FWIW, Pentium systems show similar performance gains from DDR:

http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1811&p=3

Banyan

using hyperx atm on this delta board w/out a hiccup... heh old thread.

i agree with you, regarding the effect of dc depending on apps ran...

Last edited:

smish

Registered
Anything Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin will work awesome. I own the same board and have tried many different types in it. Corsair seems to be the most stable at overclocked speeds. The only thing i wouldn't reccomend is Geil, that's all.

P.S. Dual channel isn't that big of a deal. It's better to get the biggest size stick you can at first, THEN worry about getting another down the road.