• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7S5a floopy probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

John1975

Helpful Member
A friend of mine just bought a K7S5a board and a amd 900mhz chip. He was able to use the floopy before and he got windows into his machine. He can still start his computer, but now his floopy drive is unusable. The light is on continuously. He tried a flipping the cable and tried a diff floppy drive from his other comp.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks
John

OP
J

John1975

Helpful Member
He tried replacing the cable while I wrote the question. That didn't work either.

Could it be the motherboard? or a bios setting gone bad?

He is about 5 hours from me so I can not go there and see for myself.

edit: it works now, it was the floppy and the cable.

Last edited:

Puer Aeternus

I have the same prob!! My floppy was fine than I swapped cpu and fan and upon reboot...bad floppy?!? It runs continuously..I tried to turn it off in bios but eventually just unpluigged the sucker as I never use it anyways...I just thought it was a bad floppy...could it be the mobo?

Bubba

I've also got a floppy problem.Windows can't read or see the drive.Maybe it's an issue with this Mobo as I had this problem with another of these boards.It's a pain.

flounder43

Senior Lawyer-clocker
Bubba said:
I've also got a floppy problem.Windows can't read or see the drive.Maybe it's an issue with this Mobo as I had this problem with another of these boards.It's a pain.

I do not think that floppy problems are common. Does the BIOS recognize the drive?

LoRDhYpNOs

Registered
Yup Floppy Prob. Here Too.Although Mine Was Temporary.Every Once In A While The Floppy Wont Work And The Light Stays On.But Then I Re-Boot And Its all Good.Beats Me?:beer:

Puer Aeternus

Good news..in my case at least. The floppy stopped working after I put in a new cpu and fan...waht I did was unplug all the ide cables so I would have more room to work...when I plugged em all back in...the floppy stopped working..it just continued running w/ the light on? I made sure the cables were on correctly..consulted the manual and even checked the bios...nothing seemed to work. SO I unplugged the floppy and paid no more attention to it until I decided to try a new bios..welll the floppy needs to work for that. So another forum member suggestesd I re-check the cables...this time I reversed the ide cable on the mobo...and presto..it worked again.?!?!?
So basically I had to plug the cable upside down, I dunno why, but it works?