• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7S5A temp monitoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KiLLeR_WoMBaT

I am confused on what the different temp values should be for my system:

ECS K7S5A
AthlonXP 1700+
Thermal Take Volcano 5 HSF
300 AMD Approved PSU
2x128MB PC133 SDRAM

In the bios settings is states the CPU Temp is about 46' Celsius on startup and Case Temp as 32' Celsius.

The several software (Windows XP) motherboard monitors I have tried all state the CPU is 32' and the powersupply/aux is 46'! Which one is really the CPU temp? What is the highest "good" temp? I get up to about 55' Celsius on the PSUAux setting in MBProbe after playing 3d games for a time. But not knowing which is really the CPU temp is keeping me in the dark on whether my system is okay. Other forums have people stating their CPU is in the 30-50 range; while in my bios the cpu never is that low! Please help me clarify which is REALLY the CPU Temp / Case Temp / PSU Temp / Motherboard Temp (oh yeah, MBProbe says my motherboard is 13' Celsius; how it knows this I don't have a clue!)

WoMBaT_KiLLeR

Greg M

The BIOS knows which thermistor is being measured. If the BIOS says the CPU is 46, and the software says one of the sensors is 46, that sensor is the CPU.

Kakao

This is how I set my MBM CPU temp sensor. My CPU temps are 51/55 folding.

Stryfe

My system runs around 51-56C under load. That's with my Athlon 1133 and the Volcano 2. These temps are fine. Or at least fine as in they won't hurt anything. However I don't like them that high and want to overclock my system eventually so I plan on buying a new Heatsink.

Greg M

I think the ECS temp monitors run about 10 degrees F on the high side. I have another system sitting right next to it, in identical cases, that is always 10 degrees cooler, and I can tell the lower one is accurate.

dreadlord79

I think that the monitor has to be off as well since I put in a new 120mm case fan, and a new all copper hs which I lovingly lapped and polished to a mirror finish and MBM5 is saying that my system is running at 41C non-load! I have the air flow through the case at almost exact amounts to intake and output, but it is still saying this. It has only been about 30hrs yet so the ASII I used (no I haven't got around to ASIII yet) might not be set-up yet but it started with temps of 35C and over those 30hrs got up to 41. I am hoping that the temps will go back down though.

By the way. Does any one know if a SMBus connector will work with this board or if it even have the required pins? I am thinking about building one of these since I now have a XP 1700+ and want to get the temps right from the CPU's pins. ;)