• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KA7-100 Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dynasis

Registered
I've got the KA7-100, the only slot-a board that Abit made for the Athlon. Currently, it's running a 750MHz Athlon, with the FSB bumped up 5MHz. Overclocked, it's running around 787-788MHz. I've got two questions:

First, will this method of overclocking work pretty well, that is, just bumping the FSB up a bit? OR, should I get that dip switch thing that plugs into the top of the CPU....or should I stop yapping and go with an XP :)

Second, I've got PC133 SDRAM, but when I go into Soft Menu, I can only put the bus speed at Host Clock, which is 100MHz. When I put it at Host Clock + PCI Clock, (133MHz), I get no display. WTF? :mad:

Anyway, comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks :cool:

ib69nu

you might be better off getting an xp. i still have a ka7-100 and a broken 950. I planned on overclocking that board, but had severe compatability problems (processor and mobo scratched proc, and leaky capacitors on mobo). then i upgraded to a kx7-333r and a 1600+ (which is now at 1.73ghz). but the best way for that combo would be to get a gold fingers device. and to just raise the multiplier and up the fsb a little at a time.
btw the 1600+ is $54 at newegg and the kx7 is about $80 and is ROCK stable. I love this board. but if you were looking to upgrade go with the 1600.

OP
Dynasis

Dynasis

Registered
No kidding! The capacitors on my board leak too! As soon as the computer shuts down, then start making noise.

So basically, I should just scrap it? Why go with the 1600 XP? Shouldn't I go for a 2100 XP or something?

ib69nu

well the 2100 doesnt overclock that much, but the 1600 does. the 2100 is about 125 and the 1600 is 53 at newegg. if you get a thermalright ax7 and a thermal take smart fan II i have heard that you can get great overclocks (providing that the rest of your components are up to snuff.) my first 1600 was running at 2100+ speeds without unlocking the chip and a volcano 9. i am sure that if you get the ax7 you might be able to reach 1.8 -1.9ghz.
by the way that board (the ka7-100) had a really bad problem with the capacitors leaking. only one of my memory slots works now. you would also have to get better ram and that would set you back about 190 for the really good stuff (512mb).
oh and by the way
welcome to the forums!!!

OP
Dynasis

Dynasis

Registered
Thanks for the welcome :)

Well, I guess after 2 years, it's time to toss the Ka7. My friend has an AMD 1600XP with an iWill XP333 that's overclocked to 1.65GHz. He's got some sort of large heatsink and fan on the CPU as well. For the video, he's got ATI's Radeon 8500 64MB.

The system is VERY stable. I don't think he's had an error yet. He's also running Win XP. Should I go with some setup like this or like the one that you mentioned?

ib69nu

the board manufacturer is your choice, but i have heard that the best two kt333 chip boards are from epox and abit. although i have also heard that the iwill board also supports the 1/6 divisor rather than all the other kt333 boards that only support the 1/5.
btw if you didnt know the divisor is what the pci bus divides the FSB to get an operating speed (pci likes 33mhz). the 1/6 divisor would be great for me because i am running at 193 fsb, so my pci clock is almost out of spec, it is at 38.6mhz. when i up it to 195 i start to get splotches on the screen.

also when choosing a motherboard, you should look at onboard components. the kx7 has practically no onboard devices. but i also have a gigabyte ga-7vxrp which has a TON of stuff (lan, audio, usb 2.0, usb 1.1 header, onboard smartcard, memory stick, and securedigital readers [you need to buy the actual reader, but there are headers for it]), but it doesnt overclock very well. if you are looking for all the stuff, but still want a good overclocking board i would suggest the abit at7-max2.

OP
Dynasis

Dynasis

Registered
I just upgraded using some spare parts. The system seems pretty good compared to my old one. Here are the specs:

Abit KT7 Mobo
AMD Duron 650MHz O.C'ed to 750MHz and stable
1 DIMM of Corsair 256MB PC133
1 DIMM of Kingmax 256MB PC133 (two contacts were toasted when I pulled it out of the KA7, so I lightly sanded them and installed into the KT7)
1 DIMM of "Generic" 128MB PC133
Same CDROM, CD-RW and floppy
Same Sound card and Modem and NIC
Voodoo 5 5500 64MB G.C.
Speeze Cooling Fan with aluminum heatsink and copper bottom
Tt Orb fan for Via Chip (the stock Abit fan had a PLASTIC heatsink and a dinky fan; I had this one sitting around and couldn't resist :))
IBM 14.4GB UATA 100
Seagate 20GB UATA 66

Overall, the system runs really well. It runs a heck of a lot better for gaming than the KA7 did.

Question: How high can I go with overclocking the Duron 650?

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
If you've got one of the good Durons it should do close to 1 GHz. You're still limited to about 110 FSB on that mobo though. Most all your overclocking will have to come via multiplier.

OP
Dynasis

Dynasis

Registered
SickBoy said:
If you've got one of the good Durons it should do close to 1 GHz. You're still limited to about 110 FSB on that mobo though. Most all your overclocking will have to come via multiplier.

Okay...so I'd just go into Soft Menu in the BIOS and change the multiplier but not the FSB?

How do I tell if I have "the good" Duron? It's a 650MHz that I overclocked to 750MHz by just changing the multiplier in the BIOS. It runs excellent with no freezing problems.

The only issue that I have now that I didn't have with the KA7-100, is that when I close an Internet Explorer window, the system slows down a bit and the IBM hard drive (primary master) churns a little while. After a moment, it's okay again.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me about overclocking my CPU. Thanks.