• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KD7 and memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J2T

Ok, I have a bit of a question here. I have read and reread the thread found here Link and still cant figure this out. I have my FSB set to 170 and have the DRAM clock set to SPD. Now shouldnt this have my ram running at DDR340? Instead the option locks out and shows it at DDR333. I cant change it unless I take off the manual controls for the CPU. Please tell me I am missing something. Thanks.

modenaf1

hmmm. i have a kd7 too. when i get home ill test it out a little. that thread was kinda confusing. try putting it to 266, and it should increase wiht the fsb. and then you will hit a fsb speed of 333!! or even higher!!!! go for it!!! ;)

OP
J2T

J2T

Wait, so if I set the DRAM clock to 266 it will increase as the FSB increases? So if I set the DRAM clock to 333 will it increase or will it lock it at 333? I thought it locked it at that setting.

modenaf1

it will increase. but then you wont be able to o/c the fsb as much. you want 266.

hypotheticall lets just say the ram maxes out at 337.

at 333
fsb:266 ram:333
o/c ex. fsb: 270 ram: 337 oops ram is now maxed out. cant go anyfurther

at 266
fsb:266 ram:266

o/c ex. fsb:337 ram: 337

got it?

OP
J2T

J2T

Oh ok, gotcha. I never thought of doing that. This is my first foray into overclocking with DDR. I was on PC133 before this. Thanks.

Pla

when you set the fsb to 170 and the divider to 5:2:1 the memory is running in synch with the fsb, so the memory is at 340.

You can check that by running memory benchmark at fsb 166 and fsb 170.

you can also check that when you have selected 5:2:1 and above 166 fsb and saved the bios, then enter again, you can see that the dram clock speed is disabled - because it is running in synch with fsb.

Bios shows only 333 but it is wrong.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
modenaf1 said:
it will increase. but then you wont be able to o/c the fsb as much. you want 266.

hypotheticall lets just say the ram maxes out at 337.

at 333
fsb:266 ram:333
o/c ex. fsb: 270 ram: 337 oops ram is now maxed out. cant go anyfurther

at 266
fsb:266 ram:266

o/c ex. fsb:337 ram: 337

got it?

That's not correct. DRAM CLOCK is nothing more than a switch to run Synchronous or Asynchronous, it will never show the memory clockspeed when the FSB raised.

[OC]This

Disabled
i agree with Sonny... well said..

my God.... she is pretty. Great pic in your profile/sig. :D She looks prettier than the ones I have. :(

Last edited:
OP
J2T

J2T

Ok, thanks for the help guys. It was throwing me off with the BIOS displaying 166 and the boot up showing 333. Thanks for clearing that up.

modenaf1

J2T said:
Ok, thanks for the help guys. It was throwing me off with the BIOS displaying 166 and the boot up showing 333. Thanks for clearing that up.

oooh, i get it!!!!! your wondering why the mem is twice the amount!! yes thats because its ddr ;)

btw, this is a threadjack, but on the kd7, what is the "by spd" stuff all aboout? That oiption is all over, even for ram timings.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
modenaf1 said:
btw, this is a threadjack, but on the kd7, what is the "by spd" stuff all aboout? That oiption is all over, even for ram timings.

Same as it is with other boards, SPD can only mean one thing.

OP
J2T

J2T

Sonny said:
166.66 X 2 = DDR333 ;)

No, sorry I didnt make that clear. I understand that, it was the fact that it wasnt showing it as DDR340 that was throwing me. :)

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
OK, gotcha. If ever you try to go thru what can show at the POST screen the only values you will see would be:
  • 400 (only when run Asynchronous)