• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep case? Or get new case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
My current case is NZXT Tempest case and I planned to keep it for a while longer but I saw pictures of Tempest EVO which improved on original Tempest by making all the interior black rather than bare silver, psu mounting on posts rather than large bracket (allowing fan side down in EVO, means ATX cable is about 6" closer to mobo for easier routing), has some space behind mobo plate for better wire management, and I can get it for $110 shipped from Tiger Direct.

I got a quandary. Do I go for it, move my PC to the new case, sell the old one to pay for the new case? Or should I look for a different case that has internal mounting for 2x120 rad and looks as good as Tempest EVO? Or keep my existing case? I could paint my existing case but it's too cold outside and I got no place inside for safe painting. Garage is not attached and never heated so still too cold.

If you know of a case with good air flow, can take my 120mm and 140mm yates (will swap fans before selling old case), and looks great for max $110 shipped, please suggest away.

Another case that got my eye long ago was http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...10019&cm_re=gmc_orange-_-11-110-019-_-Product but it's rather small and wouldn't be able to hold 3 HDs or have 2x 5.25" drives. I also liked Lian Li PC-777 (discontinued) and 888 but they are rather pricey :shock:

Basically anything red/black or orange/black would be good. Unusual look a plus but must be able to cool well. Noise level not an issue as I'm deaf and I could have a shop vac hooked to my PC to suck hot air and not be bothered by it.

I have the NZXT Tempest Case I just painted the interior of the case also I am going to be using a stepbit for cable management when I get all the parts
I took the whole case apart and derivited painted then riveted everything back together. I used duplicolor automotive spray paint.
picture.php

Last edited:
also forgot with some modding you can put a 360 rad in the tempest:) The Haf 932 would be a good case cause you can mount a rad and fans internally in the HAF 932 case. Like using the RX360 rad and 25mm fans. I am using the RS360 rad with 25mm fans for the Tempest
picture.php

picture.php

Ive been looking at getting a new case and while i was looking at the CoolerMaster 690 II i stumbled upon something you were asking about with the internal dual 120mm fan rad. That bad boy can handle it in the top of the case or the bottom. Link.

I checked haf 932, via Google shopping the cheapest starts at $140 shipped which is a bit more than I wanted to pay. haf 922 looks good and it's under $100 shipped (Newegg)

I looked at CM 690 II and that also looks good but I couldn't find a reputable seller that has it shipped for under $110.

I wouldn't go with the GMC. I saw the same one at Microcenter, and it had a very flimsy and cheap front bezel. The pictures are too generous to the design.

Go with the others' recommendations.

i heart my tempest but check out this little slice of heaven... or hell lol:
NZXT-Hades.jpg

hahahaha

i think it reminded me oflike the doom remake but i still love it

CM 690 II is looking sweet. From the reviews I can find, it seems I can put the 2 140mm fans on top and mount my 2*120 rad under the fan? The only gripe I can see is no light bars on front like Tempest has, and no standard side window. :D Another matter: the 2 water ports are near the top which means I'd have to get longer tubes or mount external reservoir on top. Actually that wouldn't be bad since it'd help a lot in getting air out.

So it comes down to CM 690 II and Tempest EVO.

What about the Lian-Li K62 Lancool?

I've been pretty much plugging this everywhere I go, as I'm 100% primed to buy it the second I get $110. It looks sweet, it can hold a dual 120mm rad up top, it's full black inside, it's got a window already (690 II doesn't and won't for a month or so) and it's a Lian Li! There's absolutely no chance you can go wrong with a Lian Li. It is $10 more than your budget with shipping, but it is also $30 off atm. Better than the 690 II IMO.

CM is working on getting a windowed side panel out for the CM 690 II sometime in February. The one they did for the original CM 690 isnt bad, so i hope they make the new one look sweet as well.

I've checked, it seems the windowed panel were sold separarely for 690 for an additional $20. It's probably the same for 690 II's

Lian Li case posted above also looks good but the review reported many times the front panel and fan cables were often too short, and there isn't much room behind mobo panel for cable management. Looks good on the outside, may present problem on the inside so no on K62

I'm going to place an order for a case. Still undecided between 690 II and Tempest EVO. I'd like to have radiator on top but I couldn't find straight answer on this with 690 II. Some reviews indicated you couldn't use fans and radiators together at top. The ones I wanted to keep are 140mm YL that are on top of my current Tempest. Will that and a DD 2x120 rad fit up on the top fine?

If I could only have the rad on bottom, that wouldn't leave me much place to mount the water pump :/

The CM 690 II supports top and bottom internal rad mounting, so that to me says where the fans are, the RAD will sit and the fans will attach to the RAD. I do know that the old cm 690 there were several mods so that the rad could fit up top, but that required cutting the top panel. Can you fit the RAD between the top panel and the top of the case in the CM 690 II? I dont know, but the case does support internal case mounting for rads, top and bottom, so you can mount your rad, getting 140mm fans to fit on it is another story.

Back