• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keeping out the germies!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

Well this weekend is it. I'm finally gonna be putting my water together! Tubing comes tomorrow, pump on Friday, and I just finished midterms so all my teachers pretty much gave me no homwork.

Just one final question as my situation is rather unique as far as I can tell.

I got a 4' bong growing out of a 20 gallon aquarium that'll be used as a res. I don't feel like describing my whole deal right now, once it's all put together the pics will speak for themselves :) Anyways, with such a large res and a system that's open to the air I'm gonna have the funk growing in my res in like three days!

So what should I do about that? Someone mentioned bleach, but I need to strike a fine balance between germ-killingness and a nasty chemical smell all over my apartment.

And if you could please suggest additive amounts in PPG (parts per gallon). I doubt I'll be filling the res to the brim all the time.

Suggest away! Thanks!

--Illah

sneakyfart

Klownin79 is reffering to is called "Blue Magic" unlike water-wetter it wont change the color of the water or stink it up.

OP
Illah

Illah

That blue magic seems best for my needs. I live in downtown SF and the nearest pet store is way out. Any ideas as to where to get it?

--Illah

OP
Illah

Illah

Actually almost every place online has free shipping, so it's not an issue really. Plus even if it takes a few days for it to get here I don't think my setup will insta-mutate into a reef or anything :)

Any other suggestions before I order?

--Illah

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
I've been wanting to try Listerine (Listermint) for that minty fresh bong. 1/8 tsp per gallon. Definately non-toxic too.
I used bleach, and actually liked the clean fresh smell, but at clean out time, I got tired of flushing it before adding CLR, so I didn't send up any poison vapor clouds....bleach+acid=bad.

Eurethromyiacin <sp?) looks like the best choice though. Probably worth a drive to go get it from the petshop.

TheGhengisKhan

BANNED TROLL -Per Silversinksam
I'm using stuff called bromide concentrate. It's mainly used for swimming pools, and is sold at any pool-supply store. just a little aroma, but it's not unpleasant. the smell from my bong reminds me of those long summer days, going to the pool. :D

OP
Illah

Illah

Any of you guys got tips for the foam from the Blue Magic? I used about a 1/2-3/4 oz. within a res that's filled to about 12+ gallons right now and it's foaming up all the time.

--Illah

OP
Illah

Illah

I swear I'm thinking of switching over. This stuff has raised my temps ~1C too, probably from little micro-bubbles in the lines. The soft trinkle I had before now sounds like a soapy washing machine.

How much bleach per gallon of water do you use? Does it smell all chemicaly? This stuff smells nice but the foam...

--Illah