• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboard help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jgv115

I have 2 keyboards.

The SteelSeries Merc Stealth and the Microsoft Reclusa

Here's my problem:

my merc steath is the UK keyboard layout which has the small enter and small left shift. This is very uncomfortable for me.

My Microsoft Reclusa is 2nd hand and it is very dirty (in my standards). The insides have dust and there's white stuff all over it. But it is in the US keyboard format which i like.

So how do I go about cleaning stuff on the inside of the keyboard and the stuff in between the keys? Should I use a vacuum with it's brush tool thingy and clean it? Any tips?

Also let me know if you like the merc stealth better than the reclusa

Reclusa:
reclusa_main.jpg

merc stealth:
Steelseries%20Merc%20Stealth%20Teclado%20Gaming%20PT.jpg

NV

If you don't like the idea of popping keys off (I know I personally fear that I'll pop them off... permanently) then you can try taking the keyboard casing apart. There are probably a few screws on the back that once you take them off you'll be able to take everything apart pretty easily. I did it with my old logitech keyboard (I love this thing) and it was pretty easy to do. Having that off gives you a much better access to the space between keys at the sides. I used some paper towels and sort of dragged them through the spaces between the keys. Surprisingly effective.

Although I'm sure popping the keys off and using qtips would work better. If I can bring myself to pull them off, I'll try that next time I clean mine.

A-Dub

For the most part I'm happy with my Merc Stealth, my only complaint is the relocation of the del, pg up, pg down, etc. keys. Overall it's a very nice gaming keyboard. I don't think it's quite worth the full price though. My gf got it for me for my birthday from newegg when it was 50% off though. The space bar stopped working on mine after I had it for a couple months and it was replaced with no problems, the new one arrived in about a week. The replacement has been working fine for over a year now.

TheGreySpectre

I would always completely take apart my keyboard to clean it. generally the actuall electronics are just a small pcb and a layer of plastic with connections to each key that easily come out. The keys will actually stay in the keyboard, you do not have to snap each one back individually. With the electronics out you can just use whatever you want to clean the keyboard. To be fair I have never done this with a backlit keyboard, but I have done it with a keyboard that had a lot of media keys and it was still pretty simple. Just make sure you keep all your screws.

NV

I'm not taking the keys off... that's scary..

and how come water won't kill it?

I would imagine it's because you're using such a small amount of water... like something damp, not actual flowing fluid. Also, you're not putting water directly on anything that would have current going through it. If you DO use more water than this and you DO touch water to some circuitry you MUST allow it to dry THOROUGHLY before you attempt to use it. Meaning don't give it power at all. For a long time. I would probably wait a day with a fan on it, because I'm pretty paranoid. If the stuff I got wet was enclosed still, I'd probably wait even longer.

Marshmallow64

Try this, see if you have an old keyboard and pop off those keys, then I think you will know why it is safe and harmless if you do it correctly. Also a small amount of water will be fine.

The keys click in, just dont be popping them on and off too often.