• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KG7-RAID = Restart Hangs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cxb

Grr....

I've had this board for about 2 weeks now...
I upgraded (i guess you coulkd say it's an upgrade...) from the KT7A Raid...

Now, that it is all up and running, whe i restart either from windowsXP or from BIOS it just hangs untill i either hit the restart button a million times or turn the PS off and back on again....

I have all the laest drivers for everything, the 4 in 1 drivers, latest BIOS, I have tried pulling everything out, disabling all usb, game, lp1, etc ports, and only using the video card and no matter what i do i still get the hangs....

Here is the specs:

Abit KG7-RAID
128mb DDR PC2100 Kingston (in DIMM 4)
GeForce 2 MX200 32mb
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 X-Gamer
NetGear FA311 Fast ethernet 10/100 NIC
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Western Digital 7200rpm 80gig hdd
Cd and floppy

Coud this be the PS? Or perhaps the generic ram?
Im grasping at straws for stability here...

A long shot im think of could be that i simply unplugged the hdd from my old system and booted it onto the new... But i really dont see how that would affect the initial mobo post...

Please help.

flyingember

Registered
my thoughts.

1. new mobos generally require a new install, unless it's the exact same chipset, and then you sometimes don't get lucky.
2. the new board is indeed more ram picky
3. try an older 4 in 1 set/ones that came with the board

OP
C

cxb

Ok, thanks...
I'll try those in reverse order.... :p
Ill go from easiest to making me want to throw it out the window... :p

Does anyone know the specifics on why this would happen?

Kendan

Senior Punk
Ummm. You are using an OS installed on another motherboard. That would be the most probable. Good luck but my advice is to back up all your info and reinstall the os. You could get all kinds of problems over time and it would be a pain to trouble shoot every one. because most will lead right to the OS install. Good Luck

OP
C

cxb

Yeah, I was reformatting and going with Slackware next week anyways, but i just wanted to get this problem out of the way before i started the headache of learning Linux...
:p

Just one more question though...
I can understand the hang after restarting from the OS, but how could the OS be making it hang from exiting BIOS, or even if it has been powered down all night and I go to turn it on it hangs, could the OS really be doing that to it?
I would think the OS hasnt even been booted yet and therefore wouldnt have an effect on it as of the initial POST sequence...

SpyderMatrix

try relaxing your memory settings a little as the kingston memory is known to have bad problems with aggressive timings

OP
C

cxb

Im sorry that was wrong, it is not kingston, that is my other system, this one is Atlas Percision....

But i will try it anyways... (they are on fail safe defaults for the time being, but i will see...)

Thanks!

Kendan

Senior Punk
Then it could be that the ram is not in all the way. (the ram can be hard to seat all the way in the KG7) My point is that it is hard enough to troubleshoot problems without having to worry about an OS that was not installed on that particular motherboard. Think about it this way. I know about the OS issue so why would I spend an hour or two on AIM with you troubleshooting everything to find the problem when there is a good chance it is the fact that you just moved the OS onto the board instead of installing it. a waste of time and energy if you ask me.

OP
C

cxb

Yeah, ill grab one of my old hard drives and format it and install windows on it with that system and see how it turns out....

Thanks alot guys!

OP
C

cxb

odd... But i will try that as well....

if all else fails, im installing Slackware on thursday night so we'll see how that goes.....