• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

killed my Fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EPirate

I was adding a new DVD drive in my rig today and relized i didn't have enough power connectors "****". Needed to power my 120mm fan for my Radiator. So i cut up an old PSU and used one of the connectors that had a intgrated Floppy drive power connector. So i cut off the end of the floppy plug and the fans socket. the wires seem to be exactly the same, i wired it together i was done. I start up my computer and i dont hear the roaring sound of my fan. Its on but barly. I wanna know what i can do to get it back to its full power. (sorry for the crappy explination i just can't find my cam to take pics)

Make sure you got a good number of wires, and didnt over strip it. I have had this issue before, just go back and make sure you have a fair number twisted together.

Your fans and lights should be on a dedicated line from the PSU..Read the sticky "no joke"..Soldering wire splices or butt connectors is a prefered method...Use heat shrink to cover splices...Did you remove the molex connector from the wire you scavenged from the psu? Look at some other molex connectors on your rig and see if the color of the wires match the connector in Q.:)

It sounds like you connected the wires by color, which would give you only 5v for the fan. It might run, just slowly.

The yellow wire that connects to the power supply is +12v. The fan is expecting +12v on its red wire. Therefore, you have to connect yellow to red.

put the PSU in empty drive cages or externally. Just lenghten the wires you need adn route them in through a PCI slot (for a ghetto mod, haha !!)

On the nice and appealing side of things, buy a full tower case.

sorry I dont know any other way :shrug:

Or...you could go to a local store and buy a Y power splitter...I know it's not as cool as actually modding anything, but it'll work and they are reletively cheap. I would give you a link to order online, but shipping is too much for seomthing that only costs you $2.

Guderian said:
might have mixed the +12v (yellow) with the -5v (black)?

Just for the record, black is common or ground, not -5v. I don't know where this came from, but the only connector that has -5v is the 20 pin atx (or 24 pin EPS) connector, and I'm not even sure that it's used, and I don't know the color off the top of my head.

Back