• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kinda old hardware... new question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wulfeken

I have been going through all my old systems.. parting them out.. trying to determine what hardware I can reuse... I have OCZ3G1600LV6GK DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz Gold XTC 6GB Triple Channel Kits, three sticks of 2GB... is it worth keeping.. are there any reasonable motherboards out there for it.. Our Masonic Lodge donates to local schools and I build computers and donate them from what ever sources I get.

Can someone suggest a motherboard?

Thanks,

Kody

3 of those in a kit would've likely been from X58 days. DDR3 is still widely used today so it's something you could definitely use/re purpose.

There's lots of boards.. What processor did you want to pair?

I was not sure but I was under the impression I had to use all three of them... I was trying to build a Mycloud web server with my PI but that did not work.. so I might try to use two sticks in a simple no frills computer for that project... I really do not know.. thoughts???

Kody

I was not sure but I was under the impression I had to use all three of them...

If you want to run the RAM in dual channel then you will have to put matching sticks in both channels. The motherboard you choose will have alot to do with how many sticks you use. What is most likely is that you will end up with a board that supports 4 sticks and you will populate 2 of the 4 slots with your ram and then have 1 left over. At that point you will have to decide if you want to try finding a matching stick, or just run a single stick of ram in a low powered machine.

Or you could run all 3 sticks for 6gb on a single mobo, but you just won't get the benefits of dual channel. Depending on what you are doing the that may not be as important as gaining the extra 2gb of ram.

I agree with the above. The first thing you need to determine is what CPU you will be using then we can try and pair up a board to use triple channel. If we can't locate one then look to use either all 3 sticks in single channel or just 2 sticks in dual channel. Depending on the programs you run can help determine which is best.

Back