• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kinda sad to think.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deadphishy

well i'm moven and looken throught my closet i found an old 486 dx2 cpu. well i have no idea where it came from, but i was thinking. when this chip was made it cost hundreds of dollars. now, only 5 bucks. so much work went into making this chip and just because it's old tech it's worth nothing. but hey i'll take a free key chain any day.

Yeah, the chip itself is kinda worthless, but the knowledge gained from it's production is worth more. If it wasn't for that lowly 486DX, you wouldn't have your XP2100+ :)

Yeah, the PC industry is unlike any other industry in that something which cost thousands of dollars a few years back is worth next to nothing nowadays. That's the price we have to pay for Moore's law. We're just moving too far ahead in speed and capacity for PC's.

The 486 DX2 is worth so much more than 'nothing' why not put a Linux distro on it and turn it into a firewall and protect your system.. Give a meaninfull existance back to the old system ;)

UnseenMenace said:
The 486 DX2 is worth so much more than 'nothing' why not put a Linux distro on it and turn it into a firewall and protect your system.. Give a meaninfull existance back to the old system ;)

I think that would be more trouble then its worth but hey soon its us who will be replaced.

Me, I'm hoarding it all until I build a time machine, then I'll clean it all up real good and get a stall at a computer fair, in say 1995, get top $$$ for it, invest it in Netscape or someone, zip back here and collect the loot.....

Actually I have a gazillion uses that I'm eventually going to use all my old parts for, from a touch screen recipe system to mount on the fridge door to a Astronomical telescope guidance system and object finder, although I'm keeping a Turbo XT a 286, 386, 486 and Pent Classic intact for classic gaming.

Road Warrior

Deadphishy said:
well i'm moven and looken throught my closet i found an old 486 dx2 cpu. well i have no idea where it came from, but i was thinking. when this chip was made it cost hundreds of dollars. now, only 5 bucks. so much work went into making this chip and just because it's old tech it's worth nothing. but hey i'll take a free key chain any day.

I know what you mean in look at the price paid for my 386SX (25MHz)... thats depressing

Back