• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kinda worried. Can someone take a look at what ATI Overdrive has done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eerazer

Registered
It's the Sapphire HD 5750 1GB Vapor-X

I used the ATi Auto Tune utility.. Is this even safe?.... I mean.. wow...

gpuoc.jpg

My system is aircooled and has temps under load of 55-57.c while under 98% load.

Your toughts? I usually don't bother with overlocking and I've never seen a card clocked that high before...

Im worried? or... not? I have no idea! Help?

JonSimonzi

It took me a minute to see what I was supposed to be seeing in the photo. I was like "What's his problem, 37* is pretty cool for that good of an OC". Until I realized it was in celsius. I wouldn't leave it that high with those temps. As threeme said, use a program that can manually tune it, test it with Furmark, and monitor temps.

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
The temps seem fine to me (37c is pretty low, actually). Go get furmark and turn on temp logging and see what it gets to.

Oh, and if it passes furmark at those speeds, you have one cherry board.

OP
E

Eerazer

Registered
Yea. I need to tewak it a little and run futuremark until i find a stable clock. I seriously doubt those clocks are stable for sustained gaming. the Vapor-X has a reputation for being able to overclock very well... But what autotune did to me is crazy. At least if i turn it down a bit it should be stable if its reading overclock capability like that!. i'll do more testing and tell you what I ended up with.

Quick question... Where is the risk in overlocking and leaving it like that once you have found the optimal clocks... would it burn out the GPU much faster or is it beneficial to tweak the graphics cards when you buy them? is it accepted and common to OC your card... or would I be better off leaving it stock?

Is OC all about watching your temps? -- if you can keep your temps low, then high OC is fine? or is it not just the temps and can you short curcuit the chips?

Thanks for your replys to this thread!

Neuromancer

ATI auto utility tends to overclock a bit beyond what is stable.

Give it a try though. I have had to raise limits on most of my cards

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
Just overclocking don't burn out the chip faster, overvolting does that. Still, they usually lasts long enough to not die before you buy a new card.

Have you tried running 3dmark at the auto tune speeds?

Neuromancer

word 3d06 i find to be the most stressful on ATI cards, I see a lot of people say Vantage is harder, it may be a manufacturer thing (IE maybe it is harder for nVidia cards?) I can get a good 20 MHz more core speed out of my cards on Vantage than 06 :)

So 06 is a good test. FurMark is a smaller DL though run it full screen native monitor res and crank the AA

(Furmark in windowed mode with no AA is not a stress test.. its only stressful enough to force your card to 3d clock mode for OCing :), I can run 640x480 furmark at 1100 MHz core speed on my 4890 with stock cooler)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Hmm... I run Furmark in windowed mode (640x480 IIRC) with full AA/AF. It sure does show my limits... I cant game where that freezes/artifacts... I will try full screen though and see.