• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston 40gb SSD and OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

Will this work well?
I have vista ultimate and if needed I can get windows 7 home prem.
I already use a 74gb raptor for my OS and a RAID array for everything else, but I use more than 40gb (I download files to desktop and later delete them, a practice I will have to stop if I get the kingston).
I know you should keep 10-20% of the drive free so that basicaly leaves 30gb for my C: drive. How much does a base install of windows vista or 7 take up? Is 40gb cutting it too close? I'd hate to have to move up to a 250 dollar 80gb when this one is only 100.

Anyone with the smaller 30gb's want to chime in with thier experience? Running RAID with 2 doesn't seem smart AFAIK no TRIM can be done on RAID arrays. I'm using a ICH9R controller for my mobo if it matters.

Thoughts?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I cant imagine a 40GB drive would be enough for W7 and all your major applications...

I have a 60GB and will be looking to trim down the W7 install just to make sure I have enough space for my needs.

tachi1247

win 7 will take up about 20gb for the files including xp virtualization.

you could use this for the os, but you would have to install most of your programs elsewhere.

as i recently learned here the ocz indillix drives have a "garbage collection" tool that performs the same functions as TRIM and does work with RAID. This tool is intended to be used on operating systems that don't have TRIM support or when you're running them in an array.

the kingston drive is an Intel controller drive, but right now there is no TRIM support for the drive as kingston has yet to release any firmware updates. also they do not have a garbage collection tool of their own yet either.

I am unsure whether or not Intel's "garbage collection" tool supports RAID, but if it doesn't then i would bet that the Kingston drive never will either.

Know Nuttin

with regular install of Win7 Pro x64, along with the following applications

-MS Office 2007 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook)
-Windows Live components (Mail, Photo Viewer, Messenger)
-Adobe Photoshop CS4 x86 and x64 versions
-Adobe Dreamweaver
-Firefox

There are a few small apps as well. I disabled hibernation file, and set my page file to 1024MB. I'm only using around 14GB. 40GB should be fine, I would think, so long as you are careful with the downloads/games on the system.