• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston V series SSD replacing notebook 5,400 rpm feasible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aoch88

Hey guys, I have an X25-M running on my desktop and it's blazing fast but the Kingston V series is a lot slower. I'm not sure how bad it is as I've never tried i before but I'm thinking of replacing my notebook 5,400rpm hard disk with it. Do you guys think it'll make a difference in terms of boot up and normal usage? I can't really find a review comparing this V series SSD with a normal 5,400rpm drive so I have no idea :(

Someone please help?

Mr Alpha

The Kingston V Series uses the JMicron controller so it will probably suffer from the same stuttering problems that JMicron is famous for.

Know Nuttin

The only V series to consider is the 40GB model which uses an Intel controller.
I have used the regular V series and it is decent but not recommended at the price they are charging for it.

BossBorot

I have a 40gb V series, the only one with the intel controller, in my netbook. The only way the 40gb is slow is in seq writes but unless you write tons of large files to a tiny 40gb drive it will be a massive upgrade.

OP
aoch88

aoch88

Stuttering? I don't seem to have that in my X25-M G2 though? The 64GB is relatively cheap compared to Intel X25-M so that's why I'm considering it. I don't need a lot of space but just the speed increase :)

BossBorot

The 40gb kingston does not have any stuttering. However it has low seq write speeds. This means if you are writing a 10gb file to the drive it will be rather slow; 45mb/s a second for me. The drive is fast at reading, but not the fastest, and kills all hard drives and non intel solid state drives at 4k random read and write which is the most important measure of speed for an OS drive along with seek which is low for solid state drives.

In other words if you plan on moving big files to and from the drive beyond initial setup avoid the drive as the seq writes will be a problem. If you are not going to move files around on the drive after you get it running it will be extremely fast and wont cost all that much.

Dermen

Stuttering? I don't seem to have that in my X25-M G2 though? The 64GB is relatively cheap compared to Intel X25-M so that's why I'm considering it. I don't need a lot of space but just the speed increase :)

The 40GB model is an Intel drive and is decent, good for a netbook or general use laptop. The 64GB model is a totally different drive. It uses the JMicron controller which everybody hates.

Ha-Nocri

Just to consider, Kingston's Intel based SSD's won't get TRIM, I read that somewhere.

Ender17

Registered
just make sure you get the 40GB Intel one
it has slow write speeds, but other than that, it will blow your 5400 RPM hard drive away

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
The Kingston V Series uses the JMicron controller so it will probably suffer from the same stuttering problems that JMicron is famous for.

Nope, JMicron has updated their controller with more cache and probably some other updates. It's not a 'JMicron is good for sure' now but certain drives shouldn't be ignored because of JMicron controller either:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/2871/kingston_ssdnow_v_series_64gb_ssd_upgrade_kit/index.html

While some of the synthetics aren't great, all the reviewers and users who have them say there's no stuttering. I'm actually kind of ticked because, being the cheapass I am, there were nice deals on these with an MIR for ~$105 total in december but the MIRs went away :( I wanted to get one for my Dad for when I upgrade him to Win 7. He has an almost 10 year old 40GB Seagate drive atm lol.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
Actually Kingston does have TRIM out for their M-series and the newer V-series is probably not far behind. Most just flash the Kingston with the Intel firmware because it's identical to the intel drive - just has Kingston stickers. I wouldn't do it quite yet on the V-series, but there is a link on Kingston's website for the M-series.

BossBorot

before buying my 40gb kingston I read into the trim issue to as it was a big deal to me.

For awhile Kingston was the only one who sold a 40gb version of the Intel drive, but Intel just launched one under their own name this week. Although the Kingston has the Intel controller you can not flash the Intel firmware nor run Intel tools on the drive. Kingston most likely will release a firmware update for their 40gb v series drive, but they can not do so without the support of Intel.

Clearly the firmware now exits for the 40gb drive now that Intel has their own version of it in the wild. Kingston most likely will take awhile to adapt this firmware to flash properly to their drives which is why we have not seen a firmware update so far.

However Intel can screw Kingston here if they want. I do not believe they are contractually obligated to release the firmware to Kingston that would allow trim. If we don't see a firmware update for the 40gb Kingston it clearly would be Intel killing off Kingston as a hardware partner IMHO, which would mean no new Intel drives from Kingston in all likelihood.

If the 40gb Kingston gets a firmware update trim would be supported but Intel tools would not if the past is any indication here.

Xception

I don't notice any stuttering from my kingston 64gb v series ssd. It's not blazing fast at 118mb read speed but for the price, 150 ish not a bad deal.