• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

.kkrieger - AMAZING 96kb fps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

filip04

how far will 96kb get you these days with recent games being 5-10gb? you'd be surprised.... seriously - the mere fact that this game exists in the first place is a miracle...

the filesize of a screenshot of this game is larger than the game itself... insane system requirements though (check the link below)

still in beta... a lot of bugs... but definitely worth trying

check it out here

full5.jpg

source: pcgamer08/2004

Agent_Mull

Yeah, its really cool, but its been posted. But ill use this post as an excuse to go on a rant. If they can compress games down to 96kb (well write them to be that size), then why cant other game manufacturers atleast manage to fit a good game under 1gb? I wouldnt mind a little bit more load time if i didnt have to buy a larger hard drive? Also now adays coders are getting slopier in their coding because we have all these big hard drives.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
Posted before, but it's so good it's nice to see every once in a while :D

The main reason that games are getting bigger is because of several huge levels with complicated geometry, thousands of non-procedural textures (this game actually generates the textres you see on the fly with mathematical equations), stereo or surround MP3/OGG (instead of procedural sounds and MIDIs), and actual code bloat to some extent.

It would be nice to see games that don't take up so much space, but not if it takes an obscene amount of time to squish it down. I'd rather play a bloated game now then a small game next year :)
JigPu

Agent_Mull

I dont mean like compress everying, but if they can have a compression ratio of maybe 200 to 1, then why cant we have a compression ratio of 3 to 1? like a 3bg farcry down to even 1.5 would be fine by me.

Tatuya

I finally gave this thing and chance and all I can says is WOW, this thing takes up less room than games from 10 years ago and is way nicer. I am stunned. Whoever made this game will be surely employed by some game maker for their innovative skills just as Bram the maker of BitTorrent now works for Valve.....

Lat

i don't think the textures and stuff are compressed...i think they're generated when the program loads

but yeah, this has been posted numerous times
although it is cool :D

Robrules18

its cool and ghas pretty pictures but beyond that its not very good, its a very sub-par shooter, like something youd find in a flash game or freeware but i guess its main point is eyecandy at 96k.

Mito

The game is cool, I'm not even considering the 96k factor. It has appeal.

Lat

just curious, but anybody that has a x800 or 6800 series card, how does this baby run on it :p (i'm sure it's a lot better than my 20ish fps)

Mito

I ran the game on a ti4200 and it was slow.
with my new 9800pro, it's quite fast.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Runs fine for what it does on my computer. Wouldn't mind faster but hey you really don't need it for this game. Excellent work.

If you want to see something else sweet check out http://www.theprodukkt.com/werkkzeug1.html

Its an actual 3d program used to make the demo thats on that page also. Runs around 60 fps on my PC, damn nice i tell ya. And you can make your own from it.

bojangles

LOL it downloaded in half a second. It downloaded before I could even ponder how long it would take. But then again, It's a 96KB file.

Albuquerque

Agent_Mull said:
I dont mean like compress everying, but if they can have a compression ratio of maybe 200 to 1, then why cant we have a compression ratio of 3 to 1? like a 3bg farcry down to even 1.5 would be fine by me.
The compression numbers they are citing are a little misleading; let me help you understand:

They are using a mathematical formula to generate the floor tile/wood texture. Let's say that mathematical formula takes 40 bytes of code. They then generate a texture that, let's say is 65k colors (16bit) and is 256x256 pixels. In bitmap form, that would be a picture that's a 1mb picture from a 40byte source.

Thus, they are saying that 1024kb of data was "compressed" into 40 bytes, or a 96% compression ratio. That's pretty misleading, because it wasn't compressed -- it was procedurally generated and there IS quite a difference. They're also counting their midi streams as being 44kb/s two channel WAV audio, which is quite incorrect.

All in all, their compression numbers are not really anything of the sort. Procedurally generated textures are interesting from a technical standpoint, but not from an artistic standpoint. Honestly, have a look at the textures in that game. They're generic, repetitive, they aren't high resolution, they aren't really even "lifelike" in any way, shape or form. Sure, they're bumpy, but so is the sand texture in FarCry and the sand looks better... Also, look at the level modeling, even the 'characters' are procedurally generated and are done at very low poly levels.

All of us technoweenies like the conceptual part of the game, but no "ordinary" Joe Gamer out there is going to forgive the ugliness because it's uber technical. Joe Gamer only cares that his characters look realistic or at least believable, and his textures aren't generic and "computer generated looking".