• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1 Speaker System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cow Hunter

Registered
Klipsch Claims New GMX D-5.1 Speaker System Will Further Reinvent Category

After earning top honors for performance from almost every computer and gaming magazine published since 1999, Klipsch Audio Technologies has announced a distinctive new addition to its acclaimed ProMedia® line of multimedia loudspeakers — the Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1. The new system’s performance, styling and functionality were specifically designed to appeal to users of today’s advanced game consoles and multimedia computers.

The new ProMedia GMX D-5.1 is expected to be available for purchase in the U.S. in February 2003.

The GMX D-5.1 is a stylish 5.1 surround sound speaker system with a built-in 100-watt FTC-rated amplifier. The included system control module is saucer-shaped and comes equipped with Dolby® Digital and Dolby Pro Logic II decoders for movie theater-style surround sound. The GMX D-5.1 is compatible with PC and Macintosh computers, PlayStation®2, Xbox™, GameCube™ and other video game consoles, CD and DVD players and portable audio devices. For the first time, Klipsch is offering an array of matching, Klipsch-branded floor stands and wall brackets, as well as multi-colored accessory kits for the satellites that match the color schemes of popular video game consoles and fashionable computers.

Reasonably priced ($299 U.S. MSRP), the Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1 will be available for purchase from the Klipsch web store (www.klipsch.com) or from Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA stores nationwide.

“It is indisputable that Klipsch reinvented the multimedia speaker category in 1999, when we first introduced our ProMedia line,” said Mark Casavant, vice president of multimedia for Klipsch. “Computer speakers simply did not come close to home theater performance before Klipsch entered the market. Now, I believe that we are again reinventing the category with the GMX D-5.1, not only because of its outstanding sonic performance, but because its industrial design is revolutionary as well.”

According to Casavant, multimedia speakers have traditionally been somewhat bland from an industrial design standpoint. He said that Apple's industrial design division, and the wacky geniuses at Alienware® Corporation have helped to change our expectations of the computer ID landscape, making beautiful machines acceptable.

“The GMX system is truly a beautiful machine,” said Casavant. “The combination of its textures, ergonomics and superior functionality make it unique in the multimedia market. I think it is the audio equivalent to the Beetle or iMac or Alienware Area 51 computer, and we believe that when the buying public sees this product it will have a significant impact.”

The GMX-D.5.1 system includes five identical two-way satellite speakers that are magnetically shielded, ported enclosures. Each satellite utilizes an exclusive Klipsch MicroTractrix™ Horn tweeter that cleanly and accurately handles the high frequencies, and a three-inch fiber- composite metalized cone driver that delivers smooth mid-bass reproduction. Each satellite speaker comes with a self-supporting, ball-joint pedestal that allows a 45-degree range of motion for optimal sound directing. All five satellite speakers easily connect to the subwoofer via the included 12-foot RCA connection cables.

The user-friendly GMX D-5.1 control module, which has built-in Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic II decoders, features a standard analog stereo audio input and two digital audio inputs — one coaxial and one Toslink optical. The control module also includes separate main, center, surround and subwoofer volume controls; mute and on/off power buttons; input, surround mode and Dolby Digital dynamic compression LED indicators; as well as a digital LED central status display. The controller also connects to the subwoofer via an included DIN connection cable.

The high-output, low distortion subwoofer is a bass-reflex type with a tuned rear port and a 6.5-inch front-firing woofer. The 100-watt linear A/B amplifier is housed inside the subwoofer and the bass unit also features an SWS™ Link connection for daisy-chaining multiple subwoofers. Klipsch Subwoofer System (SWS) supplemental bass units extend low-frequency reproduction and sound pressure level. Klipsch Subwoofer System units will be sold separately through the Klipsch web store (www.klipsch.com) in Fenbruary 2003.

PRODUCT FEATURES
Five 2-way satellites and a 6.5" powered subwoofer with a distinctive industrial design

100 watts total amplified power for intense audio output (50W subwoofer, 10W per satellite)

MicroTractrix 1" horn tweeters produce clean and accurate high frequencies

3" fiber-composite cone driver delivers smooth mid-bass tones

Bass-reflex, long-throw woofer with large, rear-vented cabinet for low excursion and distortion, deep tuning and high bass output

Separate digital control module consolidates system controls in one convenient place

Separate volume controls for main, center, surround and subwoofer, plus mute and on/off power buttons (on control module)

5.1 surround sound from Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding (on control module)

1 analog and 2 digital inputs for connecting to a computer, game console, portable audio player or CD or DVD player

Input, surround mode and Dolby Digital dynamic compression LEDs, plus digital LED central status display (on control module)

SWS link to daisy-chain multiple subwoofers

See the full assortment of Klipsch ProMedia audio systems. Plus, learn more about their innovative horn technology.
http://www.klipsch.com/photo_gal/GMX51GROUP.jpg
http://www.klipsch.com/photo_gal/GMXDECODER.jpg

They just went on sale today 2/28 online and at Best Buy/CompUSA. this is just a general thread, through out comments or thoughts. i was thinking of getting these speakers because i like to play xbox/PS2 on my new 32in TV, but i also still only have a $20 speaker system for my computer :p.

While im at it though, i do have a few questions since i am no expert in connecting speakers. I have one of those Xbox Ready RCA TVs with the Vport, the Vport cable is basically a simple one connection for Composite video quality with a place to plug in a Digital Audio cable, which would go to the reciever. Analog is the one you plug the TV into right? I am guessing i would need a digital audio cable for my computer to plug it into the reciever, but then im out of ports. if i plug the PS2 into the TV, then it should still just go through the TV to the reciever right?

wow...umm

personally i think they look kind of wacky, but that doesn't say anything about the way i'm sure they sound. i like the oldschool 4.1-5.1 look but when i get sick of my 4.1's i'll surely get these...wow

jeff

edit: i also like the saucer shaped console thing...one thing i wish the 4.1's did have is a console like that, and the one that comes with the 5.1's

edit again: nevermind, only 100 watts..i guess i missed that part. when i saw 5.1 i automatically assumed 500 watts...

Last edited:
Unless you run the onboard SoundStorm Audio chip that is on the nForce 2 motherboards, you'll only be able to use 2 of the speakers though, since Klipsch decided to use digital surround jacks only, and the SoundStorm is the only sound processor at the moment that is capable of streaming Dolby 5.1 digitally....=/

Back