• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT3 Ultra2 bootup problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Benolan

Registered
I'm building a computer for my dad, and last night put it all together and started it up for the first time. It ran for about 3 seconds, then promptly made one beep/buzz and shut down. It does that about everytime. I'm fairly new to hardware/building and am not sure what to make of it.

Here's the setup:
PSU :330W Antec Truepower
MB: MSI KT3 Ultra2
Mem: Kingston PC2700 256MB
CPU: AMD 2000+
HS: Volcano 7+ w/ AS3
VID: GeForce3 TI 200 64MB

Something I remembered after getting to work was that I read once that the motherboard had issues posting with Kingston memory, and was wondering if that was consistant with the boot problem I had. Or if thatwas even still valid.

Thanks

Last edited:
Check to see if the heatsink is installed correctly and the cpu fan is hooked up to the cpu header on the MB. (If your fan has 2 3 pin connectors, make sure the one with ONE wire is attached to the header and the other one with TWO wires is hooked up with an adapter to the power supply leads)

If the HS is not on right then the auto shutoff feature may be turning it off if your CPU is getting a little too warm.

(One short beep usually means it posted ok)

Al

Last edited:
That's what I had forgot to add in.. the heatsink is a Volcano 7+ .. and yeah, I think it did have 2 sets of wires. I'll have to check that. Thanks :D

Benolan said:
That's what I had forgot to add in.. the heatsink is a Volcano 7+ .. and yeah, I think it did have 2 sets of wires. I'll have to check that. Thanks :D

No Prob.

Some boards bios will shut down the machine if it does not detect any rpms from the cpu fan.

Al

Welp, the heatsink was plugged in correctly... and switching the memory with my crucial memory didn't help either..

But here's something that seems odd... I took the harddrive and put it into this computer, and it won't come up as a new drive... would a bad HD cause the problem described above?

Benolan said:
Welp, the heatsink was plugged in correctly... and switching the memory with my crucial memory didn't help either..

But here's something that seems odd... I took the harddrive and put it into this computer, and it won't come up as a new drive... would a bad HD cause the problem described above?

Could be...

Try running it with nothing but the ram and video card. (no floppy or Harddisk connected). And if you can test out the power supply in another setup or try another ps in that one so much the better.

Al

Actully... i had a similar issue with a cdrom drive and a gigabyte GA7VAXP. it would start running, and keep running. but the machine would not post at all. nothing. Uplugged the cdrom, sure enough, the machine would start. Its possible, although i dont understand why.

this cdrom continued to MURDER my kt 4 ultra for some reason. plugging it in only once, my board would not start again. (replaced....)

this cdrom is now used as a wall orniment with a scull and crossbones in the shape of a pc. it sits next to my purely ornimental radeon 8500.

Back