• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT7A-RAID quality is lacking.....severely

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just checked the KT7A I've used to test Durons and T-Birds. It has the metal "sticker" on it but I've run the FSB up to 150 with no problem.

look, everyone has had problems with lots of products.... many people in here are running ABIT Shiznit.... K? I hated the iwill board i tried out, the asus sucked my @SS....... etc...

Love my Abit kt7a-raid, and my ka7-100.... no problems with either board.... problems with other things, such as my NIC, RAM, and campus network................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

SharkyTM

Yeah well, glad YOURS worked out. Mine did not. Twice.
So I will (Iwill?? hahah) try something else, in this case a KK266.....

I am having problems with this board as well and I am beginning to think I should return it.

I have an AXIA 266fsb 1.0Ghz chip (7.5 x 133Mhz) - I've unlocked it but can't get it to work with a multiplier between 9.0 and 10.5 with the FSB set at 133MHz. When I try these settings, the board refuses to POST. When I set the multiplier to 11, it will POST quite happily (1463MHz) !!! I've done further testing and can only get those multipliers to "work" when the FSB is between 100 and 122 Mhz, BUT when it POSTs the board reports the multiplier as being something else - BIOS=9/POST=7, BIOS=9.5/POST=7.5, BIOS=10/POST=8.0, BIOS=10.5/POST=8.5. I can use the FSB addition parameter to add a further 6Mhz to the 122, but anything more than that and it refuses to POST again.....!

I have used a few different BIOSes, and all give the same problem.

Is this a problem with the board or with VIA chipset as I've heard similar problems on this site with a MSI K7T ProA as well.....?

My VIA chip has the shiny silver surface, but don't know if this is better or worse!

Ever tought that your RAM might be malfunctioning? My KT7A-R works quite fine, despite my voltage problems, which could go away if I cleansed my tbird better...

Nope, not the ram. This ram ran perfect in my old KT7 (non A) at 146 CAS2

And until my new Iwill KK266 comes in tomorrow, this same ram is on this machine (my NT server box) as a bonus. Sure runs nicely with 512mb ram...

But anyway, it aint the power supply, nor the ram, nor the cpu. All have been tested in other machines and work fine.

The mobo is defective, and I am quite sorry to say that Abit has broken me....

I will keep trying till I get one that at least runs default clock speed.....

I've got the same problem, and it's not the PS. With an AMD recommended PS (300W+) and almost nothing on the board, and only one hard drive, there's no excuse for being unable to drive the "default" 133 MHz bus speed. There's enough of us non-neophytes with the same problem to tell me there's at least a batch of defective boards out there. Since we have the same issue, it's probably the same component.

Unlike the original author, I'm not completely soured on ABIT, but I too am "goin' Iwill" for now...fewer posts with major complaints as far as I can tell...

Cheers to all and a great freaking overclocking night!

AZZKICKER (Apr 23, 2001 07:10 p.m.):
YOU NEED MORE POWER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AZZKICKER....I have an AMD approved 300 watt power supply. Power has nothing to do with it. This same case and power supply was running my old system of a KT7 and TBird, 2 hd'S, 2 cdroms, a geforce2, with a 2.05v cpu core....and still maintained a 12.4V rating on the 12v rail.
There is simply no excuse in getting TWO defective KT7A mobos in a row that would not run the default 133fsb....

Check the mobos revision. That might tell us something. Mine is 1.0. It's written on a sticker stuck to the ISA (ugh...) slot.

b1bwso (Apr 22, 2001 10:20 a.m.):
Hmm, I think I'll see if TC Comp will swap first before I break something...it's only been at my domicile for 4 weeks.

Thanks for the good info!

TC Computer is a stickler on RMA's. I know, I have done 3 in the past 30 days. Check you invoice date (date you purchased it), not the date you received it or "days in your domicile".

- RMA'ing a defective product must be within 30 days of invoice date
- if defective, must go thru extensive debugging with Tech Support, before they'll authorize anything. If you past, with a defective status ... they'll replace your unit with a "refurbed" one in this RMA inventory.
- if for some reason the second RMA does not offer a working fix, they will at your request approve what's they call an RMA credit, meaning they refund your money, when they receive the second RMA unit back, leaving you the ability to purchase a replacement unit of your liking .... anywhere. If you by the replacement unit thru TC Computer, they will send it to you freight pre-paid saving you 15-18 dollars on shipping.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm slightly miffed that Tech Support is a long distance call, rather than a toll free like when you're spending your bread...

Back