• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED KVM (HDMI) troubleshooting question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I picked up a KVM to use between my garage folding machine and a small desktop (mATX board sized) Gateway computer. The Gateway has VGA and HDMI ports, so I went with HDMI KVM.

Well, the KVM seems to work find with my folding machine (custom build), but I'm having problem with the Gateway. I'm still finishing all the updates since it was almost a year since it was last run (I normally use it while on vacation), but I don't think that is the problem.

When I fire up the Gateway, if it is directly plugged into the monitor via HDMI, it boots up normally, and displays normally. If I plug the USB side of the KVM switch into a USB port, there are still no problems. But once I switch the direct HDMI cable for the HDMI side of the KVM cable, the monitor goes blank. I can use the KVM to switch back and forth with the folding machine, and the folding one always pops up, but the Gateway is always blank.

But when I then plug the monitor back directly into the Gateway, the display never comes back until I reboot.

I've also switched the KVM cables between the machines and also KVM ports so I know it isn't that one of the cables or ports that is bad.

This leads me to suspect that the onboard HDMI port is the problem.

So, my question is, should I get a low end small formfactor video card with an HDMI port and see if it works with that, or just get used to switching cables to switch between machines? I don't need to get into the folding machine all that often if I'm using the Gateway to stream media an control my CNC router.

Well, since the keyboard and mouse do work with the switch, and it just appears that for some reason if the HDMI port on the Gateway desktop has a disrupted connection to the monitor it disables itself and never re-enables until after a reboot, I went with just getting a VGA cable. The monitor has a VGA port, so I have to press 2 buttons to switch between, instead of just one. But that is still easier than shuffling cables around.

Thanks!

Edit, I'd like to edit my OP to put solved, but apparently the edit button doesn't last that long in this sub-forum.

Back