• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KYRO II - Contender ? or No Contest ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpeeDj

I just finished reading an Article over at AnandTech on the KYRO II, and for 150$ this cards looks like it will have a promising start. They have also Paired up with Hercules/Guillemot to produce their cards.

You can find the review HERE. Take a peek at it.

Looking at the benchmarks this card appears to be a pretty impressive performer. This is looking to be a pretty amazing card, the only thing it appears to be lacking is a T&L Engine, which they are currently working on, I am interested to see where this one will head.

From what I have read the nVidia camp sound's a little worried. Just wondering what you guys think about this card out of curiousity ? Think this could be the next contender ?

J

I Definately think this card is gonna make one big impact on Nvidia. Now although this card is still 'young', and it does have some minor glitches to be solved, for 150$ and the performance I would get, I would (and am gonna) buy it 100%. And plus the buges will be worked out by the new drivers they wil be releasing. It has the performance hit going from 16-32 bit colours like the Radeon, in quite a few games beats out the Geforce2 in benchmarks, and destroys the Voodoo5 in benchmarks. But I never really use benchmarks to find out what the card is like, I have to see with my own eyes. But to answer your question, yes, I believe Nvidia should be shitting their pants :) and this card has very very high hopes.

whooo baby, i read that one weeks ago...

heres something to think about:

The hardcore intel fans stayed that way, but alot left for athlons when they saw them.

the kyro II kicks ***, but it lacks T&L, hurting many games, and the FUTURE of games... but it's a great low-mid range card!!

when the KYRO III comes with T&L and a whole wack of new features, i'll need a drool bucket.

buttt, i think this stuff is just like beatifal women to me:

NEVER GONNA GET ONE!!!
=[

well, my 2c, but this bad boy will do hardcore gamers a hand with the pocket books, considering a GF3 STARTS at 500 american.... (the cheapest i've seen localy is 829CDN, and it's ASUS)

ouch.

me, i'm stuck with the gf2 MXs, and the Kyro is competition to the budget, so mebbe a kyro II will be right for people coming off a TNT2, a gamer trying to save some $$$, but get GF2 GTS performance (and doesnt like radeons)...

I couldn't be happier to see another card come into the picture, and I think with a little maturity, the Kyro II will be a big contender. With 3dfx being sucked up into NVidia, I was delighted to see ATI come alive and put out such a fine card as the Radeon. Now with these Kyro cards popping up, we might just have a ball game again.

Bring it on, baby. It's time to see new faces and new players. NVidia is ripping us of our money because their GFses are so expensive. I would be so glad to see other cards beat the hell out of that GF lines because they are so expensive.

Come on, peepos, a whopping $500+ can actually buy a computer. For once, these card makers think they own everything so they make it as expensive as possible and let buyers like us in the dust.

The day when I see that Kyro beats NVidia, that's the day I will raise my voice in triumphant. I'm looking forward to that day and I hope it's coming soon.

People are never in agreement. By that, I mean if we want the card makers to lower their damn graphics cards' prices, we should be in agreement and NOT TO BUY ANY OF THOSE DAMN EXPENSIVE CARDS and let them have no profits and then maybe that may change their minds about ripping us.

But hey, some people actually enjoy spending big money. Not me, I'm a medium class person and every single penny I save makes my life alot easier to cope with.

What the heck, I think these new GF3 prices are so outrage. Maybe one day, the GF lines will be like $1K. That's totally outrages. And we the consumers are not doing anything about it. Sad, sad, sad. Very sad and unfortunated for medium class like myself.

Enough saying....make your call.

I don't think its a big deal that the card dosn't have Hardware T&L. Running it in software on the main CPU can be alot faster on the higherspeed Athlon and Pentium chips.
Try a bench mark in 3dmark2001 or 2000, with T&L in software, and in hardware, you will probably get a better score in software, because your CPU is faster than your graphics card.
AKDUDE

jeff_harrison_344 (Apr 06, 2001 10:22 a.m.):
I Definately think this card is gonna make one big impact on Nvidia. Now although this card is still 'young', and it does have some minor glitches to be solved, for 150$ and the performance I would get, I would (and am gonna) buy it 100%. And plus the buges will be worked out by the new drivers they wil be releasing. It has the performance hit going from 16-32 bit colours like the Radeon, in quite a few games beats out the Geforce2 in benchmarks, and destroys the Voodoo5 in benchmarks. But I never really use benchmarks to find out what the card is like, I have to see with my own eyes. But to answer your question, yes, I believe Nvidia should be shitting their pants :) and this card has very very high hopes.

If I remember Anandtech's review of the Kyro II right, it has no performance penalty worth noting between 16bpp and 32bpp performance. That's one of the amazing points about the Kyro II.

Back