• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L12 mod via BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

I know there is a BIOS that is supposed to do the same thing as the L12 mod does. I don't really want to take anything out of my case or unmount my CPU unless I have to, or if I need to reset the heatsink (computer still needs memory). I have heard people that say the BIOS with the mod built in worked, the others that say it didn't work. I am going to be running a 2600+ Mobile, does it really work? If so, linky on that BIOS? Is it only one BIOS that does it, or are there a few revisions or something?

I've heard of at least two bios that's been hacked to do the L12 mod. I don't believe either of them work..... :cry: You can still do the hardward mod and you don't have to worry about it if you change bios...... :cool:

Well does anyone have one that DID work? Linkage?

Also I GUESS I can do the L12 mod if I have to... this is my first time building a newer PC and I really don't want to go through mounting my SP-97 again :p

Ah thanks!
I have heard from many people that Revision 1 of that BIOS is better. Can anyone say that is true? Where can I download Revision 1 and does it have the L12 built in?

Thx :)

Also to know if the L12 mod via BIOS worked... would I just go into the BIOS and hit Load From optimized, or load from default.. whatever it was called and if it read as 166mhz it worked?

PCGUY112887 said:
Also to know if the L12 mod via BIOS worked... would I just go into the BIOS and hit Load From optimized, or load from default.. whatever it was called and if it read as 166mhz it worked?

You should be able to just get higher fsb... With the built in one the modders just change the sip tables to all 166\200 timings so no matter which cpu you put in thats what is uses... Ive seen some that still need the hardware mod tho..

I think I explained that right ;)

Thunda

THunDA said:
You should be able to just get higher fsb... With the built in one the modders just change the sip tables to all 166\200 timings so no matter which cpu you put in thats what is uses... Ive seen some that still need the hardware mod tho..

I think I explained that right ;)

Thunda

Would it be correct to think that with one of the modded BIOSes (or the wire trick doing the work) that you'd want to ensure your CPU will run that FSB @ default vcore? If you ever have to clear the CMOS, you'll default back to the default voltage, at a higher FSB.

I've done the L12 on the NF7-S, but didn't get any appreciable gains (might have been my DDR at the time not up to snuff...). I did try to run 166 @ default voltage, which it would just fine, so I went ahead and tried it.

Something I've always thought, just never asked....

B.

Mr B said:
Would it be correct to think that with one of the modded BIOSes (or the wire trick doing the work) that you'd want to ensure your CPU will run that FSB @ default vcore? If you ever have to clear the CMOS, you'll default back to the default voltage, at a higher FSB.

I've done the L12 on the NF7-S, but didn't get any appreciable gains (might have been my DDR at the time not up to snuff...). I did try to run 166 @ default voltage, which it would just fine, so I went ahead and tried it.

Something I've always thought, just never asked....

B.

hmmm... I guess your right.. it would depend on the cpu and the default multi.. most are using mobiles now and even after the L12 from 133~~>166 it doesnt boot at the actual default multi ( 13 I think ).. mine boots up at 166*6 when I load optimized defaults with the L12 because desktop mobo's dont reconize the mobiles correctly..

Thunda

THunDA said:
hmmm... I guess your right.. it would depend on the cpu and the default multi.. most are using mobiles now and even after the L12 from 133~~>166 it doesnt boot at the actual default multi ( 13 I think ).. mine boots up at 166*6 when I load optimized defaults with the L12 because desktop mobo's dont reconize the mobiles correctly..

Thunda

With the mobiles and they way they default to an extremely low multi, the voltage really wouldn't matter. I was more thinking of someone less experienced trying this with a Pally... ;) Locked, at that. :p

Cheers!

Brian

Back