• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L5 Mod and Colocation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chrisdafu

Im getting ready to build a dual AMD system to send off for colocation. The problem is I dont know if I should trust the L5 mod when this box is in Chicago, and Im no where near it. IF it goes down I would also lose a lot of money. Right now Im leaning towards buys real MPs just to be safe.

Once u do it, it usually lasts. (I havent heard of it breaking down after initial run in) just dont use a pencil-use conductive fluid for circuit boards (expensive) or rear demister correction paint (comes with brush-use pin)

What I was told to do was actually put sticky tape over the mod once done to protect it.

Chrisdafu said:
IF it goes down I would also lose a lot of money. Right now Im leaning towards buys real MPs just to be safe.

Get MP's just for the reason that it is possible on a reboot it will only recognize one. And where money is concerned it is better to be safe than sorry:D

Re: Re: L5 Mod and Colocation

Kendan said:

Get MP's just for the reason that it is possible on a reboot it will only recognize one. And where money is concerned it is better to be safe than sorry:D

Agreed.

If you can't be there to fix it, then it's worth the extra cost to make sure there isn't a problem.

Re: Re: Re: L5 Mod and Colocation

Kendan said:

cmcquistion said:

Agreed.

If you can't be there to fix it, then it's worth the extra cost to make sure there isn't a problem.

Im also going with what they said

For my home / overclocked computer I use XP's.
But for servers and customers servers I will allways use the correct chip at the default clock speed.
It only takes one call out and all savings and reputation are lost.
MP's or Xeons would be best for this task.

boostland said:
For my home / overclocked computer I use XP's.
But for servers and customers servers I will allways use the correct chip at the default clock speed.
It only takes one call out and all savings and reputation are lost.
MP's or Xeons would be best for this task.

i can not agree with you more, if you are using this to make money, or you are selling it, you should use the correct chips, ie not modded, and at stock speeds, it only takes a little while for you to get a bad name as a thief for selling over clocked chips for a small buisness to go under i have seen it happen way to often.

Yea, Ive decided to go ahead and get MPs. What really erks me is that people are advertising MPs on ebay and then in the fine print it says they are modded XP's. I really feel sorry for someone who buys those not knowing they are really modded XPs.

I can say this there are XP chips that do not need a mod to run thay are from the early series of processors..I had 4 of them no mod no problems for over a year..SO you can do that or simply close the bridge I mean if it is done right there is no real way the processor will not work for ever unless you have a serious system melt down..

Those Xp chips that you speak about are no longer available new.
Modded hardware or devices that are on the fringe of mainstream are not worth putting in servers or high uptime systems.
The price difference is not worth the risk, One failure can easy cost more that the amount saved in call out fees and downtime.
Try telling a customer that his business can't run today because his server needs the processors re modded. lol

I have had one dually (a Tiger MP system) that has had both of the L5 mods go bad (at different times.) Both times, I had to troubleshoot to find out which CPU was having problems, and both times, I had to remod the CPU (more than once, to get it working right.) I don't know why this one system keeps giving me trouble, when my four other dual AMD systems don't, but there it is.

Mods CAN go bad. When they do, you have to fix them. In my case, the machine in question is only used a couple hours a day, so it wasn't a big deal to fix it and no one even noticed the problem, but me. On the Tiger MP, if one CPU starts reading as an XP, the system will take about 75 seconds to POST, but after that, it will run fine, although with just one CPU.

Chrisdafu said:
Ive decided on real MPs. I am most likly buying the server skip has in the classifieds.

Good call. I agree this is the best idea, given the circumstances. I've built/sold a couple PC's locally, that I "advertised" at default, and then explained to the person (both of whom I knew and worked with) that the system was capable of overclocking, if they wanted a bit more "ooomph" out of it. Then it's in their decision to o/c or not (one did, one didn't).

Selling modded equipment is touchy...it depends on the person buying, and if they have a bit of knowledge. Otherwise I don't even mention it's possible.

B.

Back