• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lack of WUs for Many-Core Machines

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Hey all,

Frequently running into issues with a lack of WUs for many-core machines. Right now my desktop (set for 14 cores), my workstation in the office (set for 18 cores), and another workstation (12 cores) are sat doing nothing. Is this because GPUs seem to be the only game in town these days ...?

I guess I could split these into multiple CPU slots with a few cores each, but I guess then I'd lose out on the bonuses that I can rack up by throwing many cores at a WU?

TBH my PPD isn't taking too much of a hit - I think the RTX3070+GT770+P106-90 seem to manage ~4 M PPD between them so I think the CPUs are only worth a further ca. 1M PPD in total.

David

@David, unfortunately for those of us who own and are fond of multi-cores, their heyday is long past. My 32 thread Supermicro is no longer attempting f@h WUs, not sure if Rosetta@home is serving work anymore to CPUs.

I think it's a lot like when there was a shortage of GPU WU's, with CPU's having 16 cores or more are chewing through the CPU WU's faster than Stanford can put new ones out.

Rosetta works great with multi-core machines.

I am using 4, 8, 12, 32 and 64 cores and all are getting work.

Rosetta works great with multi-core machines.

I am using 4, 8, 12, 32 and 64 cores and all are getting work.

Maybe I need to switch to Rosetta on the CPUs and FaH on the GPUs.

As noted above, I don't think my FaH output would take much of a hit if I didn't put the CPUs towards it.

Back