• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Lamptron FC5V3 Fan Controller Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Lamptron has re-worked the FC5 fan controller yet again, and now we sit at version three. This latest iteration drastically increases the LED color choices, controls up to six fans, and also has temperature probing capabilities. With modern motherboards able to control fans and many cases including this as a built-in future, what makes a fan controller worth the added expense?
... Return to article to continue reading.

Excellent review!!!

I do have a question. I reviewed one of these in the past and the viewing angle on them left a lot to be desired. I think they resolved this concern a while ago with v2 or maybe either when moving from LED to LCD. Can you confirm good viewing angles on this model?

Thanks! :thup:

I bought a v2 and my PC sits on the floor. When sitting above it, you couldn't read the display. I'm also interested in if they fixed this in the new version.

I never really looked at it from extreme angles, but it'll only take a minute to plug it in and check. I'll try and find the time to do that ASAP.

Ok, you guys had me curious so I went and fired it up real quick. I can see the display from straight on and never lose sight as I rotate it. I rotated it up, down, left and right to the point where the face itself was out of view. I did notice it dimmed just slightly with the face point directly at me and a slight tilt upwards. That might have had more to do with the lights in the room than anything though. But, suffice to say it seems 100% better than what you guys describe from earlier versions.

Thanks!

Did it make any fans buzz? Some fan controllers are just the pits that way.

This sounds promising because it varies Voltage. Some controllers interrupt the 12v line in a bad imitation of PWM, and control fans by varying wattage.

Back