• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lan party OC loss

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zippykid9

i had my computer running at 1.15v and 1466mhz a while ago, but i moved it to a friends house to play HL on lan and it wouldnt post there. (it worked fine and stable at home) i raised the voltage to 1.2v and it still wouldnt post! so at this point i got ****ed off and put it back at stock on everything. now its up a little higher. 8*200 and 1.45v. thats arbitrary, i didnt test it whatsoever. it does run stable, though. (ran prime all day and all night) i tried putting it back where it was before, and it didnt work even after i brought the computer home. i didnt touch anything inside the computer besides the CMOS jumper during all this time, so i wonder why i lost the undervolting ability i had. can anyone tell me?

(also, what is a good amount of time to run prime and why? should you run prime when you're doing nothing else, and if you dont, should you do it for longer? thx.)

Why are you running it so low?

Unless you're on the stock cooler or something, try for at the very least 2.2ghz ;)

I dunno if this was already mentioned but moving your case around from one place to another can greatly effect your CPU temperatures. This is caused do to your heatsink being repositioned after being bumped around. Most copper heatsinks that dont have full lug hookups tend to get this problem alot!

So besure to re-mount your heatsink if you went a long ways in your car/truck just to make sure that CPU is safely flush with the heatsink :)

OC-Master

i doubt its the temperatures that caused it to not boot at a lower voltage, because first, the cpu was cold, and second, the temperature in the room was comfortable but cool. (it was not heated because of lots of computers. there were only me and my friends and his laptop.) also, putting a cpu at lower voltage lowers the temperature, it doesnt raise it! last, my temps right now (1.475v @ 200*9.0) are around 46c. 1.15v @ 133*11 would most certainly be lower. it is possible that the heatsink shifted, though, because the computer (and me) were riding in the back of a stiff suspension truck. fortunately, it was a smooth road, or i really would have been worried about my computer!

thanks for the input guys, but does anyone have a second opinion?

Not only can your hsf get moved around, but when it does the thermal compound looses its adherance between the cpu and hsf. Clean the hsf and re-attach it and see if that helps. One thing that I have learned though is that just because your comp runs all tweaked out one day doesnt mean that it will do it every day. I have had the same problem before though. Usually a new application of thermal compound and re-attaching the hsf does the trick though. Undervolting is not something that is brought up here all that often, so a lot of the new guys dont really understand what or why a person would do that.

Why dont you want to reset your heatink? 46C at 1.475v is horrible. And you're right, we wouldnt understand why you'd want to lower your voltage to 1.1x unless you only have a can and a fan for a HS or you want to make it last 200 years. At 1.4v, I bet a thermalright and a 7v'd stealth would do the job... its as if your trying to go passive cooling or something. Fill us in.

no im not trying to do passive cooling i just wanted to know how much headroom i had. you see, most of these chips overclock 500mhz at default voltage. thats really quite a bit. so, it's very possible that its quite overvolted at default speeds. i tested this and found that it would run stable at 1.15v. this was cool for me, and i left it there for a while to see how cold it ran at load and idle. however, i moved the computer, and it no longer would even post this low, let alone run stable. (i have recently tested it to run 1.2v stable now.) this was a test only, but i was worried when it started being less forgiving, because i didnt know if it would hurt my max overclock. i have since had this computer running at 2600mhz but that was when it was below freezing in my room.
my heatsink is an slk-800 but fan is really crappy right now, so temps skyrocketed at that speed. i had it at 1.8v so it got to 50c sitting in bios. trying to boot into windows created too much heat, and it shut down and wouldnt post. (i forget if it gave me a heat alarm or not though)
Overall, i believe this chip is a very flexible one and once i get the cooling system it deserves, i'll be very happy!

Back