• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAN server connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobTheGoldfish

Registered
I am currently at university so i have a nice LAN connection in my halls. We quite often enjoy some network gaming and currently i run a dedicated server for the cs m0ngs off my box.

What i wanted to do is buy a cheap machine to run a couple of dedicated servers. Then i would hook that onto the network.

WHat i want to know is if it would be possible to put an extra network card in so that i can get on the network from my machine via that server PC
Also would i be able to join the LAN games seeig as i will be on a different network card to all the other incoming connections?

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
It is possible to install a second nic into the server computer, but you have to be careful, because some games will only want to allow incomming connections from one interface. I belive this is a problem with the linux version of cs. (not 100% sure tho..)

OP
BobTheGoldfish

BobTheGoldfish

Registered
Is that a problem only with cs or other HL mods too (i dislike cs with a passion so would only be playing other mods)

Or is it just a linux problem because i could run windows instead

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
BobTheGoldfish said:
i dislike cs with a passion
:mad: to each their own, i guess...

I don't know where the problem was located.. i never played around with the setup... it would have been halflife as a whole, and not just the cs mod... i don't know if the windows one did it aswell, never tried it.