• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAN + Sound + Modem probs in WinXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

OK. I installed WinXP Pro 2600 build on my T-Bird today. (it ran perfectly fine on the Duron system for over a month now...)
I have a creative sound blaster VIBRA sound card and a cirrus logic modem & Realtek fast ethernet card.
Now, the problem starts at the point where windows loads. All I hear from the speakers is like a repeating first sec of the windows loading sound. Next, I can't connect to the internet. I windows didn't set the modem up, and I can't find the drivers for it on the internet... I'm really lost, I really want this OS to be able to connect to internet and also I want to be able to listen to winamp while I'm surfing... I tryed to add the modem manually but it only let me use the COM 1 & 2 for the modem, that didn't work.
I got the win2k drivers from Creative and after I install it ask for registration, but I can't register cause have no internet access. I press skip. have a lil disk activity then it asks to restart the computer. After the restart the problem with sound didn't go away... I really want to stay with this OS.
When both the computers run WinXP they can't see or access each other, but when WinME & WinXP are loaded the LAN works fine.
HELP ME PLEASE

Guero

I would figure out each problem individually. Remove these devices from the Device Manager, shut down, and remove the three cards. Then one by one install one thing at a time to help you figure out the problems one by one. Check to see if Creative has XP drivers available for your sound card. As for your modem you have a couple choices. Find some drivers for the modem or buy a new modem (cheap ones are probably $10) that has XP drivers.

OP
The Coolest

The Coolest

My problem is that there is no modem, it shows it like Simple PCI comm device, I can't connect to internet and download any thing.
But I think I know how I'll do. I'll borrow a modem, put it in the second rig, make ICS and downloadit through there.
But any more suggestions are welcome

OP
The Coolest

The Coolest

OK, I finally got the drivers. Installed the modem but it still won't connect. I made a new connection
Then it tries to dial but can't. I tryied to change the COM from 3 to COM 4/5 didn't help here are the settings:
I/O = 9000 - 90FF
IRQ = 09
Memory Range = D1800000 - D1800FF
Why wouldn't it connect? cause of IRQ? In WinME wich I have to run its on IRQ 5 and the rest is the same. I don't even hear a sound of when a modem starts dialing.
PLEASE HELP

OP
The Coolest

The Coolest

k... Please ignore the previous post.
I think I figured out the problem but now I have to solve it. I think I can't get internet+sound+LAN cause all my cards including the vid card are on the same IRQ of 9. I can't change it in the resources of any of those cards. That's what prevents me from fixing it, when I go to resource tab under any of these devices everything is disabled and it only shows me the IRQ = 9 and other stuff.
How can I fix that? Why no body know or what?