• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lane congestion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What ports? I guess that all will work, but not at full speed as many things are shared.

Modern motherboards can handle much more power than we think. Most have a much stronger power design than they ever need.

Anyone tried to cook one?

Anyone tried to cook one?
Isn't that what they're essentially doing overclocking with LN2? In order to push the CPU to it's limits, it needs volts. In order to support the volts it needs cold. For ambient cooling, most are WAY overbuilt... in that no form of ambient cooling can keep the CPU from throttling with XXX wattage.

Only on the cheapest of the cheap boards with high-end CPUs are the VRMs not enough/wil 'cook'. :)

Isn't that what they're essentially doing overclocking with LN2? In order to push the CPU to it's limits, it needs volts. In order to support the volts it needs cold. For ambient cooling, most are WAY overbuilt... in that no form of ambient cooling can keep the CPU from throttling with XXX wattage.

Only on the cheapest of the cheap boards with high-end CPUs are the VRMs not enough/wil 'cook'. :)

How about... well... not quite.

Boards are set to give power to the CPU for over clocking.

Maxing out other things though.

Fill every port, all of them.

You can... and how it performs, as Bart said, depends on what devices are on the end and how the lanes are broken up.

DMI is 16 GB/s so there's at least that much bandwidth for comms to/from the CPU from the chipset.

I'd say, do the math. Look at a chipset diagram of a board you want to know about and see how it works out. I haven't seen anyone try that, or work it out on paper.

quick Q, are the m.2 drives have Heatsinks on them? well i guess really better question is what drives? some of them needed heatsinks on the controller on the card. as sustained heat on it cause issues, dont recall if crashing the PC was one of them. i would possibly guess overheating of one or more overheating on the controllers. though i would also suspect data corruption as part of the over heating. i dont have any kind of hardware or money to see if that is the case.

quick Q, are the m.2 drives have Heatsinks on them? well i guess really better question is what drives? some of them needed heatsinks on the controller on the card. as sustained heat on it cause issues, dont recall if crashing the PC was one of them. i would possibly guess overheating of one or more overheating on the controllers. though i would also suspect data corruption as part of the over heating. i dont have any kind of hardware or money to see if that is the case.

This is why pretty much everything new has thermal throttling or thermal protection to shut down much before the critical point. SSD have it at about 70-75°C and most users can't even see when they throttle, as they still work pretty fast. CPUs and GPUs throttle at 80-105°C. Caps and other components are designed for 105-120°C. Most other things in new computers won't run hot.
Of course, everything may degrade if will work at 85°C+ 24/7 for a loooong time. However, some components are designed to work at ~100°C. Even memory chips and other components are exactly the same in home/office hardware and enterprise/server series. Components for servers are usually rated at 15-20°C more, so you can assume that home series will live longer than expected.

Typical modern motherboard has a power design for a 450-500W CPU. OC series for much more. How many CPUs have more than 200W? Some years ago Gigabyte released a motherboard with a 1200W CPU power design.
Nowadays hardware manufacturers protect themselves from too high RMA rate with various protections and new components (with some exceptions) are not so hot. It's really hard to "cook" anything in modern computers.
There are fully passive cooling solutions that work with higher series CPUs (Noctua NH-P1 and similar things), so you can build a higher wattage PC without any fan ... and it won't burn or overheat as long as it will have some mesh panels in the case.

I was running some components in tight ITX builds that were on the edge of overheating. The only problem that I had with them was too high PCH temp in MSI Z590 Unify, and too high water temp that eventually caused 2 pumps to die in about one year. These PCs were running 24/7 with different load during the day. I had no problems with other ITX motherboards, even though temps in some builds were quite high.

Everything has heat spreaders.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221028-055748_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221028-055748_Gallery.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 5
Back